Need Advice In Regards to XMPP

Hey everyone,

I am currently trying to broaden my spectrum in android app development. I have received a new project from one of my clients in regards to creating a real-time chat application which emphasizes security (encryption). My colleague recommended Openfire to me and after playing around with it I have a few questions that I am hoping the community can answer me. Just a preface, I am just finishing my Software Engineering degree so forgive me if I sound a little out of the loop here. My client is emphasizing security, they want to make sure that eventually the instant messages are secure. I have a few questions:

1. Does Openfire integrate SSL, if so how secure and how easy is it to integrate into an android application.

2. What would be a good DB to use with Openfire (assuming that this app could be used for commercial use)

3. Lastly, how does Openfire compared to other XMPP protocols like Ejabbered?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

1. Openfire supports SSL/TLS. Not sure about the second part of the question. Probably depends on an xmpp library being used, unless you want to write whole thing from a scratch.

2. Some sort of SQL. Probably MySQL is the easiest one. I know that some are using MariaDB because of licensing, but MySQL is still widely used.

Nice article