Need help with alternate clients

I have just rolled Openfire and Spark out as beta for our corporate IM standard. We communicate with customers via IM at times and need to control and logging that Openfire provides. I have alot of sysadmins that are pretty fond of their current clients and I am trying to figure out if there is a way to make Openfire’s IM gateways usable as IM proxies for any client. If someone could point me to a doc or previous post that would help I would be grateful.

Hi Jason,

the IM gateway can now be found here: http://kraken.blathersource.org/

Anyhow it will likely not work for you if you want to use an ICQ/MSN/… client and connect with it to Openfire. The IM Gateway is made for XMPP clients to allow them to connect to the ICQ/MSN and other networks.

LG

Thanks for that, I am using pidgin which works great as a client for Openfire, I just need pidgin to be able to use the Openfire gateway to connect to Yahoo/msn/…

Not the answer I was hoping for, but at least it was answered.

I’m not sure if it’s clear that you can use alternative clients for Openfire, but if you want to use server side gateways to other protocols, they must support it. See wikipedia (Comparison of instant messaging clients - Jabber Clients using server-side multi-protocol transports) for a list of supported clients.