Active Directory:

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/539/ad8jy.jpg

LDAP:

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/6033/ldap9pq.jpg

Jive:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3143/jive0lb.jpg

in this picture lsa-c899 is now jive…thats the name of the local machine

The setup is like this:

Domain controller = austar-iv (local machine name) austar.local is domain (no outside access)

Jive server = jive(local machine name) on austar domain

Ldap section should look like this:

Note: adminDN is the username you would use to bind to your LDAP server. Active directory accepts two login formats, user@domain or domain/user. Also for the search filter you will want to select a filter that will not select account names that have spaces in them. This example search filter selects all accounts that are not disabled.

thank you sir

i will test this

I noticed in the message you replied to my question

with about LDAP. You said adminDN is the username

you wuold use to bind to LDAP server. We dont run an

LDAP server but I was under that suggestion that

Active Directory works with LDAP. Am I totally off?

LDAP is the mechanism that is used to access data. Active Directory is the data store. So LDAP is used to access data in Active Directory.

There is a tool that comes with Windows 2000 Support Tools called ldp.exe. On a windows 2000 CD browse to the file Support\Tools\Support.cab. After you install this file you will get the ldp.exe tool. When you run the tool you can see how ldap works to access data in active directory.

In order to access an ldap server you have to authenticate to it before you can access any data. The adminDN field in the jive-messenger.xml is the user name that is used in order to authenticate to the ldap server. The name adminDN is a little misleading because you don’'t actually have to specify the DN of the user in the case of active directory, you just specify the user name which you will use to gain access to the server. In the case of active directory an example user name would be ‘‘domain/user’’. Notice that you must specify the domain name here as well as the user name.

2005.07.07 17:01:04 Exception thrown when searching for userDN based on username ‘‘administrator’’

javax.naming.CommunicationException: austar-iv.austar.local:389 Root exception is java.net.UnknownHostException: austar-iv.austar.local

at com.sun.jndi.ldap.Connection.(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.jndi.ldap.Connection.createSocket(Unknown Source)

… 30 more

anyone have any ideas?

BTW these are errors created when trying to log in via Exodus…it is the debug log text file i got this from

2005.07.07 17:12:24 Connect Socket[addr=/192.168.1.150,port=4192,localport=5222]

2005.07.07 17:12:24 Trying to find a user’'s DN based on their username. sAMAccountName: jsykes, Base DN: CN=Users,DC=austar,DC=local…

2005.07.07 17:12:24 Creating a DirContext in LdapManager.getContext()…

2005.07.07 17:12:24 Created hashtable with context values, attempting to create context…

2005.07.07 17:12:24 Exception thrown when searching for userDN based on username ‘‘jsykes’’

javax.naming.CommunicationException: austar-iv.austar.local:389 Root exception is java.net.UnknownHostException: austar-iv.austar.local

at com.sun.jndi.ldap.Connection.(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.ldap.LdapManager.getContext(LdapManager.java:235)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.ldap.LdapManager.findUserDN(LdapManager.java:409)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.ldap.LdapManager.findUserDN(LdapManager.java:364)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.ldap.LdapAuthProvider.authenticate(LdapAuthProvider. java:88)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.auth.AuthFactory.authenticate(AuthFactory.java:97)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQAuthHandler.login(IQAuthHandler.java:221)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQAuthHandler.handleIQ(IQAuthHandler.java:14 1)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQHandler.process(IQHandler.java:48)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.IQRouter.handle(IQRouter.java:202)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.IQRouter.route(IQRouter.java:73)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.PacketRouter.route(PacketRouter.java:65)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReadThread.readStream(SocketReadThread.jav a:285)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReadThread.run(SocketReadThread.java:105)

From the line:

It looks like it can’'t find the machine. Is your DNS on that machine setup correctly? Can you ping austar-iv.austar.local from the machine running jive?

beautiful

thank you so much fergi

i edited to xml file to read the IP addy instead of the DNS name

works now

it is a DNS issue, keep in mind this is a test environment so the domain controllers we have in there have been altered

Glad I could help.