powered by Jive Software

Need light-weight spark client

The Spark client works great but it seems like a resource hogger upward of 50k is there something lighter? The exodus client works ok sometimes with the wildfire server, which runs at 5.6k.

just need something that is good for messaging don’'t need the telephone integration.

Hi,

You could try Pandion. It’'s a good client that people like.

Cheers,

Derek

Hi,

as Spark uses Java and not native, already loaded code it uses about 50 MB (not 50k, my first computer had 32 or 64k). There’'s nothing you can do to reduce this size, so if you have computers with little memory you may want to use another client.

LG

I tried Pandion and it grabs about 30MB…better than Spark’'s ~50MB but still pretty hefty.

There’'s gotta be a stripped down, lean and mean option?

i’'m using psi (0.10) that takes 20.744K … another 10 MB less

So, depending on your situation, what about going web based?

Cheers,

Derek

I’'ve just started up Psi… it tops out at 20MB but if dormant slides down to less than 6MB.

Now that’‘s what I’'m talking about!

But wow, version .10? I haven’'t found any glitches yet, but the low version is kind of scary. Sounds like a really dedicated developer(s).

Still, I worry…nothing to do but test test test. Thanks for the lead!

What do you think of Exodus? (what’'s its footprint?)

oldhat wrote:

What do you think of Exodus? (what’'s its footprint?)

We are using Exodus in our internal IM system. Though we are thinking to move to Spark, cause it looks more convinient, and we’‘re slowly upgrading our desktops to a 512MB RAM min., and it’'s not dead project. Ok, Exodus is not dead, but last update was more than a year ago. Psi is a bit more active project. I mean final stable releases (not betas, daily builds or svns).

So for me normally after running full day Exodus is showing ~7MB in Task Manager.

If speaking about features. There are some that i like more than in Spark (or there are no such features in Spark). It’'s a good client after all.

wroot wrote:

Though we are thinking to move to Spark, cause it looks more convinient, and we’‘re slowly upgrading our desktops to a 512MB RAM min., and it’'s not dead project.

I think i’‘ll switch to spark at least when 2.5 comes out… it’‘s the first nice looking client with voip support (excapt coccinella) and it’'s heighly extensible

So far Psi is working pretty good for us on the terminal server. Little buggy things…but mostly works fine, as in auto start and presence, and the footprint stays small.

Emoticons, file transfer is buggy, and switching from being logged into one computer vs logging into TS is sticky.

FYI.