New feature: authentication against POP3

Hey all,

I just checked in a new feature written by Sean Meiners. It does all authentication against a POP3 server and automatically creates new user accounts as necessary. So, if you have an email server, you can setup a Jive Messenger server and have people use the same login.

If anyone gets a chance to test this feature out, please let me know (available in the next nightly build). As an example, here’'s the jive_messenger.xml entry to make authentication against gmail work:

/pre

-Matt

Message was edited by: matt (added UserProvider)

Hi matt

I would like to test it out.

Thx,

wmhtet

Wow, very cool. I’'ll have to try this out. Nice work Sean.

Cheers,

Ryan

Nice! Just FYI: I originally wrote this for use at the company where I work. I realized the only way I was going to get them off of AIM was to make it as easy as possible for both IT and the users. Luckily I found the wonderful Jive Messenger and managed to write this plugin in only a day or two. It’'s been rock-solid for us, I hope it is for everyone else too.

Nice! Just FYI: I originally wrote this for use at

the company where I work. I realized the only way I

was going to get them off of AIM was to make it as

easy as possible for both IT and the users.

Necessity is the mother of all invention.

I originally wrote this for use at the company where I work. I realized the only way I was going to get >them off of AIM was to make it as easy as possible for both IT and the users. Luckily I found the >wonderful Jive Messenger and managed to write this plugin in only a day or two. It’'s been rock-solid for >us, I hope it is for everyone else too.

smeiners

That is the solution I(IT) am looking for. I don’'t want people to use outside IM and I have issue with JM storing the password in plain text. It is great now that I can have a more secure authentication.

nice job smeiners!

Thx,

Win,IT

is it there yet? (in the nightly builds)

Definitely should be.

-Matt

hmm…

I haven’‘t tried with my real domain yet. however when i tried against public mail server like yahoo and gmail it is not working though. I gave my jive messenger server as gmail. however it is not working. If I mark it as a new account, it will create a new account in jive messenger whether the password match that of gmail account. ( i have gmail account and i tried the same use name.) if I don’‘t mark it as a new registeration, it will not log on. ( of course there is no account in the Jive DB for that. so this case is forgiven.) If I create the user separately in Jive with different password from that of the real account in gmail. It still suthenticaticate with Jive only. Is it because of public domain? i think it doesn’‘t matter and shouldn’'t be. please enlighten me.

Thx

wmhtet

I find that the error is

"Error loading auth provider: org.jivesoftware.messenger.auth.POP3AuthProvider

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.jivesoftware.messenger.auth.POP3AuthProvider"

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.starter.ServerStarter.main(ServerStarter.java:46)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

2005.08.12 23:32:57 [org.jivesoftware.messenger.auth.AuthFactory.(XMPPServer.java:118)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.starter.ServerStarter.start(ServerStarter.java:82)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.starter.ServerStarter.main(ServerStarter.java:46)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

2005.08.12 23:46:59 [org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReader.run(SocketReader.java:145)

] Connection closed before session established

Socket[addr=/192.168.0.4,port=2686,localport=5269]

2005.08.12 23:46:59 [org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReader.run(SocketReader.java:145)

] Connection closed before session established

Socket[addr=/192.168.0.4,port=2687,localport=5269]

I just made an update in SVN that will fix the account creation issue. I’‘m not sure why you’'re getting the not found error, though.

Regards,

Matt

Hi Matt,

How i want to use this faeture?? I mean, how i want to install jive_messenger.xml to my server? I’'m new…

Thank You

Hi matt

If you don’'t could you please post a complete working conf xml file here please.

Thx,

wmhtet

Hi Matt

I just notice that there is no POP3UserProvider for

in the source file. I checked it here

/jive_messenger_src_2005-08-15/src/java/org/jivesoftware/messenger/user

Please enlighten me.

thx,

wmhtet

Ah ha! I see the issue – the nightly build process is still trying to use CVS instead of SVN. We’‘re fixing this now so tomorrow’'s nightly build should be good.

Regards,

Matt

BTW, I’'ve verified that the latest nightly build does have the POP3 classes.

Regards,

Matt

Hi Matt. Can you post a full example config file? I am trying to authenticate off a remote pop3 server but no luck. I am using an SME server and one of the things that’‘s hard-wired in is a user with name admin - so I can’‘t even log into the console - does anyone have this working, it’'s exactly what we need at my work!

steever

For you to be able to log in into Admin console while your pop does not have admin account. You need to add the desired users name in the config file,

wmhtet

My pop does have an admin account - admin@domain.com ! but I can’‘t get into the console using this. Even setting another name doesn’‘t work. What’'s going on?

Hi,

I got a separate pop3 server and Jive messenger server, in this setup by using the code I am not getting authentication from pop3 server. What should be the problem?

Will this code work only where pop3 and jive running on same server?

Please guide

Thanks

Riju