New (L)user trying to make sense of it all

ok, i know nothing, and i know this. but i know that i need to get openfire running and i hope someone can help me.

I installed openfire on my centos box with the latest RPM. I had it working with the built in JAVA since my server does not have JAVA on it. (And at this point in time installing it is WAAAAY beyond me)

Problem is that i had it running only when i manually ran ./openfire.sh , but as soon as i terminated the session, openfire would close as well.

So i read on the install instructions about something call redhat-postinstall.sh , which is not in the RPM, but in the tar.gz , so (not so) clever chap I am, i extract it from the tar.gz into /opt/openfire/bin/extra and ran it. then things went awry.

When i run ./openfire.sh i get a whole screen of insults thrown at me by the script mostly relating to java.

is there any way for me to completely remove openfire and all the changes it made to my system, and start from scratch.

thanks in advance

or you can just laugh at me

Hi,

Don’'t be so hard on yourself. If you installed the most recent RPM, an init script should have been installed in /etc/init.d/ such that you can now control openfire via init.

service openfire start

for example, can correctly start it

daryl

It starts, but when i go onto the web interface, i get up to the page

http://192.168.1.200:9090/setup/setup-profile-settings.jsp

and when i click continue

this happens

(dramatic music)

HTTP ERROR: 500

INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

RequestURI=/setup/setup-profile-settings.jsp

Caused by:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.util.JiveGlobals.deleteXMLProperty(JiveGlobals.java:492)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.setup.setup_002dprofile_002dsettings_jsp._jspSe rvice(setup_002dprofile_002dsettings_jsp.java:75)

at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:491)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1074)

at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:11 8)

at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1065)

at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:65)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1065)

at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingF ilter.java:41)

at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:69)

at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:98)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:365)

at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:185)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:689)

at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:391)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollect ion.java:146)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:139)

at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:285)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:457)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:765 )

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:627)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:209)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:357)

at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:329)

at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:475)