I recently updated openfire from 3.3.2 to 3.4.1. Initially, it was unable to function with our MySQL 4.0 server. The server would hang during startup. I enabled the query log, and found that the server was issuing only one command; it seemed like the JDBC driver wasn’t able to detect the end of the result.
I resolved the issue, temporarily, by replacing lib/mysql.jar with the version that was included in 3.3.2. After that, the openfire server worked properly.
The next day, I upgraded the MySQL server to 5.0 (as included with CentOS 5). I then replaced lib/mysql.jar with the version that was included in 3.4.1, and the server appeared to function normally. However, when I looked at error.log, I saw that it was throwing exceptions. A portion of error.log is attached.
Once again, I resolved the issue by replacing lib/mysql.jar with the version that was used in openfire release 3.3.2. The version currently distributed certainly seems to be broken.