We have been using Wildfire/Openfire for several years with Exodus on the clients. We recently out grew our Openfire 3.5.2 server running on Windows 2003 on a MS Virtual Server. We currently have about 350 concurrent users. I would like to get that up to 2100.
I decided to install Openfire 3.6.3 on a HP Proliant DL380-G3 Dual XEON 2.8Ghz 2 GB RAM still running Windows Server 2003 SP2. We are using Windows Active directory for authentication. Last week we tried to have everyone start using the new server. I gave it the same Openfire server name as the server it was replacing (the Windows name is different we use a CNAME) and overnight I changed the CNAME and everbody (about 350 users) was pointed at the new server. Within about 90 minute the CPU went to 100% and then the server quit accepting new logons and I could no longer logon to the Admin console. I switched the CNAME back to the old server.
I started over with the new server. I re-installed Openfire on the new server and gave it a unique Openfire server name and this morning started moving people in small groups to the new server. We had them delete the old Exodus profile and created a new one for the new server. When we got to about 50 users the CPU was at or near 100% (90+% was the openfire-service.exe). We stopped migrating users for now. I restarted the service at noon and we are up to 43 users and the CPU is holding at an average of 56%. Java memory is at 614MB of 986 MB. Before I restarted the service I made two changes. I took the ![CDATA[…]] off of the ldap.vcard-mapping setting since I saw it was not need and changed the Java memory from 1024-1276 to 768-1024. I’m not sure if that helped.
Other setting I change are as follows:
What can I tune to get this server up to its full potental. By the way Java version 1.6.0_03 (came with the Openfire install.).