Newbie Openfire questions

Hi all,

i have a few questions about openfire usage/operation which i’m hoping someone might be able to help me with.

Basically i am looking at installling it and using it within a windows 2003 server environment, i am currently testing its capability. i have installed openfire and it is working with ldap, it will be run internally and without any extranet access

1, is it possible to remove the buddy request feature so that i can message other users without them allowing me?

2, what is the best client to use? what i’d like to be able to do is have something lightweight that can preferably sit on the fileserver and run over the network and can be called from a login script so that it automatically connects to the logged in users profile? and doesnt need to be installed/updated on every machine manually

3, can i setup a full company buddy list with all the users in it rather than having to add buddies manually? can this be pushed to all the clients?

Thanks in advance and i hope you can help me!

tim

1. Yes. Install a few of the plugins and configure them, such as: Registration, Presence Service, etc

2. The enterprise version has a web client. For opensource I run Spark on the client machine. Updates are pushed via AD. The user is logged in via single sign on based on their AD account at login.

3. Yes. This is done by clicking on an LDAP group containing all users found in the group list and sharing it.

To add to mtstravel reply.

Question #1: Besides using the Subscription plugin that will automatically accept any presence subscription you may want to check out the shared group feature. Shared groups will let you populate rosters from the server. You can define a group from the admin console and mark it as shared (e.g visible to everyone) and the members of that group will appear in everyone’s roster.

Question #3: Once again shared groups could be what you need. If you are integrated with LDAP then you are already loading groups and users from LDAP and all you need to do is configured them to be shared. You can also have shared groups when storing groups in the DB or integrating them with any other back end.

Regards,

– Gato