No admin console logon with 3.4.0 or 3.4.1 upgrade

This topic is getting lots of replies! I’ll add a comment against the original to try to bring people up to speed on what I’ve done. I haven’t made a second attempt yet on trying 3.4.1 but here’s what I had:

My server was running 3.3.3 with MySQL5.x back end. Initially, I couldn’t get 3.3.3 to connect to MySQL, so I had to download MySQL’s own JAR file and add it to the lib folder.Things worked very well.

I then downloaded 3.4.1. Now with the exception of the jump from 2.x to 3.x (the one that required a whole database rewrite), this has been my upgrade procedure:

-Stop Openfire server on Windows, set to Manual in case of a reboot.

-Rename the openfire directory to openfire<version> (ex: openfire333)

-Extract the new openfire to the destination drive

-Copy the vmoptions file, openfire.xml, JARs for pluig ins, and the Spark resource directory for Spark Manager

-Restart Openfire & attempt to log into the Admin console

Now, when I do all this from 3.3.3 to 3.4.1, users connect to the system just fine. Rosters come up, communications work. From the clients perspective, everything is wonderful. But when I try to log into Admin console, it keeps telling me “bad password”.

I augmented the above procedure to assume the system was “fresh”. I didn’t copy over the openfire.xml & let the system think it was being configured again for the first time. The configuration ran without a hitch, and OpenFire didn’t report any errors. The service starts up, users can connect, and no admin console.

I’m not entirely sure of what is going on. Would anything get written to the log files? I find it odd that the system itself would work normally and the admin console is the portion that fails.

The only other thing I did notice was at one point, the upgrade console told me that my database had to be upgraded from version 11(?) to version 13. It did say this upgrade went well.

Ideas?

Hi,

so “The service starts up, users can connect, and no admin console.” is the current state if I understand it right.

What does “no admin console.” mean?

Port 9090 an 9091 are (not open or) open but it does not respond (timeout)?

Or does it mean “it keeps telling me “bad password”.”?

LG

Like I sead befor dont do it as an upgrade leave you openfire 3.3.3 and database as is.Creat new database for the openfire 3.4.1 and do new install then export/import you user data from 3.3.3 to 3.4.1.Then open you mysql openfire3.3.3 database export/import your user groups tables from 3.3.3 mysql database to 3.4.1 mysql database.then you will have two server 3.3.3 and 3.4.1 you can then start 3.3.3.When you want work on the 3.4.1 stop the 3.3.3 and start 3.4.1.and no more copying openfire 3.4.1 files to the openfire 3.3.3 that will get you more and more bugs :_|

I can’t do a user export import. The export/import will do the users, but NOT the groups they belong to. I’ll have to go through and reconfigure all my group memberships that way.

Or has there been an upgrade/update to the export/import to remember groups now?

The ports are open. I get “bad password”.

To export your groups you can export from your mysql database use expot table then import the tables to your new databaes and save changes.Use this editor for your mysql it is simple to use

http://www.heidisql.com/

Hi,

do you have an XMPP account which works? Then you may want to add it to conf/openfire.xml as authorized user and try it again. Then you can change the password of “admin”.

Otherwise you could change the password of “admin” within the database with an SQL update statement.

LG

I don’t think I experienced the same exact problem as the original poster (he/she seemed to be unable to log into the admin console after upgrading), but the error I got effectively locked me out of the admin console, so I’m posting this here in case someone hits the same error.

I’m running Ubuntu 7.04 Server, so my original install of Openfire 3.3.3 was from .tar.gz. After upgrading to 3.4.1(also .tar.gz) using the procedures outlined in the Upgrade Guide, I was able to get to the admin console login page and log in, but immediately after logging in, I would get a HTTP ERROR: 505:

HTTP ERROR: 500

org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.getFlashCrossDomainHandler()Lorg/jivesoftwa re/openfire/FlashCrossDomainHandler;

RequestURI=/index.jsp

Caused by:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.getFlashCrossDomainHandler()Lorg/jivesoftware/openfire/FlashCrossDomainHandler;
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.index_jsp._jspService(index_jsp.java:146)
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:491)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1074)
at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:118)
at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1065)
at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:65)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1065)
at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:41)
at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:69)
at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:98)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:365)
at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:185)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:689)
at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:391)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:146)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:139)
at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:285)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:457)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.java:751)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:500)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:209)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:357)
at org.mortbay.jetty.bio.SocketConnector$Connection.run(SocketConnector.java:217)
at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:475)

Like the original poster, my users were able to connect to the server - only the admin console seemed to have problems.

After the upgrade, the logs (info.log) seemed to indicate that the server was still version 3.3.3, so to make sure I was really running 3.4.1 and not a mix of the old and the new, I blew away the upgraded directory (I kept a backup of the original 3.3.3 install) and unpacked 3.4.1 to an empty directory. I also restored my original 3.3.3 database (I’m using mysql) from the backup that the upgrade guide advised me to make. In the new 3.4.1 directory, I copied only the conf/openfire.xml file from the old install, then I started up the new install. The new logs indicated that it found an old database format and was upgrading to a newer format (“Found old database version 11 for openfire. Upgrading to version 13…”). The new logs also mentioned 3.4.1 - a good sign.

The admin console works now, and it seems like all my settings are intact. Clients were initially unable to connect, but I re-generated self-sign certs and now everything’s fine. I also had to re-install the plugins I was using, since I started with a fresh (and thus relatively empty) plugins directory.

Ok… So I finally followed the advice of doing a fresh install. And man; unpleasant.

The fresh install worked in terms of getting the admin console to work. I then did a user import, and that worked as well. THEN I had to dig through all the other database tables in my original to get my groupings back it was NOT fun. I also lost all the VCards, as no progrma I ahve seems to want to import it properly.

Regardless, it looks like the upgrade to 3.4.1 worked, but it really wasn’t an upgrade.

I still have no idea why the move from 3.3.3 to 3.4.x was this problematic, but I’m hoping now that I’m at 3.4.x that future upgrades won’t be as difficult.