No message appearing in IM client windows Openfire 3.4.3

I have an issue that when sending messages, the receiving person’s IM chat client window (in this case spark 2.5.8) is blank. They hear the alert but no text in chat window. This is happening widespread on numerous clients. I have tried different versions of spark (2.5.5, 2.5.7) and have posted in spark forum but no responses. Possible openfire issue? Here is the latest error log:

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceive d(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:648)

at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.support.SimpleProtocolDecoderOutput.flush(SimplePr otocolDecoderOutput.java:58)

at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.ProtocolCodecFilter.messageReceived(ProtocolCodecF ilter.java:173)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(Ab stractIoFilterChain.java:299)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.access$1100(AbstractIoFilt erChain.java:53)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceive d(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:648)

at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter.processEvent(ExecutorFilter.java :239)

at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter$ProcessEventsRunnable.run(Execut orFilter.java:283)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.mina.util.NamePreservingRunnable.run(NamePreservingRunnable.java:51)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

2008.01.09 08:45:25 [org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapGroupProvider.populateGroups(LdapGroupProvi der.java:682)

]

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapGroupProvider.populateGroups(LdapGroupProvid er.java:673)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapGroupProvider.getGroup(LdapGroupProvider.jav a:99)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.group.GroupManager.getGroup(GroupManager.java:204)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.group.GroupCollection$UserIterator.getNextElement(Gro upCollection.java:102)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.group.GroupCollection$UserIterator.hasNext(GroupColle ction.java:65)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.roster.RosterManager.hasMutualVisibility(RosterManage r.java:876)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.roster.Roster.<init>(Roster.java:143)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.roster.RosterManager.getRoster(RosterManager.java:85)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.handler.PresenceUpdateHandler.broadcastUpdate(Presenc eUpdateHandler.java:280)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.handler.PresenceUpdateHandler.process(PresenceUpdateH andler.java:122)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.handler.PresenceUpdateHandler.process(PresenceUpdateH andler.java:110)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.handler.PresenceUpdateHandler.process(PresenceUpdateH andler.java:174)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.PresenceRouter.handle(PresenceRouter.java:133)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.PresenceRouter.route(PresenceRouter.java:69)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.PacketRouterImpl.route(PacketRouterImpl.java:75)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.processPresence(StanzaHandler.java: 321)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.ClientStanzaHandler.processPresence(ClientStanzaH andler.java:84)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:245)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:167)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler.messageReceived(ConnectionHandl er.java:132)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$TailFilter.messageReceived (AbstractIoFilterChain.java:570)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(Ab stractIoFilterChain.java:299)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.access$1100(AbstractIoFilt erChain.java:53)

at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.support.SimpleProtocolDecoderOutput.flush(SimplePr otocolDecoderOutput.java:58)

at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.ProtocolCodecFilter.messageReceived(ProtocolCodecF ilter.java:173)

at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter.processEvent(ExecutorFilter.java :239)

at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter$ProcessEventsRunnable.run(Execut orFilter.java:283)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.mina.util.NamePreservingRunnable.run(NamePreservingRunnable.java:51)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I have run ito this on one of my machines as well. Nothing I did resolved it, until I re-imaged the machine. I tried deleting the Spark folder from the users profile, re-installing the application, etc.

that’s scary. i’m not going to reimage 40 computers. I’m trying an older version of the spark client (version 2.0.8). You tried reinstalling openfire?

I have a hard time believing it was the server since the problem has not reoccured. You may have a different problem though. Is the anything in your debug log to indicate a server issue. To narrow it down clear the debug log and have them send a message.

I sent an IM to a person still on 2.5.8 spark and it was blank. here is the debug log

line

2008.01.09 12:49:28 JettyLog: EXCEPTION

java.io.IOException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

at sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.read0(Native Method)

at sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.read(Unknown Source)

at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.readIntoNativeBuffer(Unknown Source)

at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.read(Unknown Source)

at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.read(Unknown Source)

at org.mortbay.io.nio.ChannelEndPoint.fill(ChannelEndPoint.java:128)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:282)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:205)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:381)

at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:396)

at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:442)

2008.01.09 12:49:28 JettyLog: EOF

2008.01.09 12:49:28 JettyLog: EXCEPTION

java.io.IOException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

at sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.read0(Native Method)

at sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.read(Unknown Source)

at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.readIntoNativeBuffer(Unknown Source)

at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.read(Unknown Source)

at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.read(Unknown Source)

at org.mortbay.io.nio.ChannelEndPoint.fill(ChannelEndPoint.java:128)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:282)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:205)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:381)

at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:396)

at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:442)

2008.01.09 12:49:28 JettyLog: EOF

Hi,

Did you resolve this problem ?

A similar symptom was detected in our site with Operfire 3.6.0a and Spark 2.5.8, though it was solved with restarting Spark.

But, we could not know what cause it.

Could you please let me know the cause of this problem if it is clear at the moment.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Yukari Hirota