"No response from server" during muc.create()

Hi. I’'m just getting started with Smack (version 2.0.0). A super simple test is:

MultiUserChat muc = new MultiUserChat (…);
muc.create (“some nickname”);

``

But when I get to the muc.create() call, I always get back “No response from server”.

My server is Jive Messenger 2.2.0 and I’‘ve already proven that a client like Exodus is allowed to create a MUC room, so it doesn’'t seem to be a server configuration problem.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Are you seeing the response in the debug console? One solution you might try is increasing the delay under SmackConfiguration.

Nevermind. I had forgotten to login. I guess the lesson to be learned here is that the Exception message “No response from server” is pretty useless. With the smack debugger I was able to discern the 401 not authorized message embedded in the XML reply, and that finally led me to the realization that my Smack code client wasn’'t logged in like my Exodus client.

Thats not the only way. Usualy the legacy error code, the 401 in this instance, is also embedded in the exception, just use XMPPException#getError().

Thats not the only way. Usualy the legacy error code,

the 401 in this instance, is also embedded in the

exception, just use XMPPException#getError().

Thanks for the tip, but it doesn’‘t help in this case. The getXMPPError() method returns null. However, I’'ll be sure to check getXMPPError() after each exception from now on, in case it will help. Thankls.

What’'s more, create() is not documented to return 401. Instead the javadocs say 405 is returned if the user is not allowed to create a room.