No Tray Icon Since 2.5.3

Ever since version 2.5.3 of spark, when I install any of the newer versions, the tray icon does not appear! Is there a simple fix for this…I am running spark on Windows XP - SP2

Thanks, Stephen…

Hi Stephen:

Check out http://www.igniterealtime.org/issues/browse/SPARK-782. In my organization, the issue was that we don’t run as users with admin rights. When running Spark for the first time, the jniwrapper.jar couldn’t expand into a new directory within spark\plugins. Look in that directory now on the PCs with a problem - if you only see jars and not exploded directories, most likely the plugin that manages that taskbar isn’t expanding correctly and won’t work.

I resolved our issue by running a post-install script that grants users change rights on the Spark application directory. Now, the plugin can always unpack and the task bar icon reliably appears.

Best of luck - ATM

Hmmm. If that is the case, then that means that some users would not have any plugins activated, which would cause issues such as the trays not blinking, etc. Looks like I’m going to need to place the plugins under user.home to get this working for everyone.

Cheers,

Derek

That would work, although it would have the side effect of installing multiple copies of the plugins - one under each user’s home directory. Not necessarily bad, of course - then users could have different sets of plugins on the same machine.

For us, there was really no risk or problem opening up permissions on the Spark app dir itself, but it is an extra step and can be confusing.

Great app BTW - have had a lot of fun doing some customizations for our organization and the code is very straightforward to work with.

• ATM

ddman wrote:

which would cause issues such as the trays not blinking, etc.

Are you referring to SPARK-335 2) Flash tray icon ? Cause i never saw it flashing and i really need it to flash.

Wroot, the flashing notification is part of the the jniwrapper plugin under the plugins dir. Can you verify that it is being extracted out? Under the plugins dir, delete the jniwrapper directory and restart spark.

Cheers,

Derek

I’ve actually never seen the tray icon flash - even with JNI working (I think) as expected and the plugin fully expanded. We’re talking about the small icon near the clock, correct? It changes with my presence status, but I haven’t seen it blink.

On a related note - looking at the JIRA ticket linked about - any progress or news on allowing Spark chat windows to jump to front without stealing focus (the cursor). This would truly be the “killer” notification option and would be what almost everyone here would select.

Best - ATM

ddman wrote:

Wroot, the flashing notification is part of the the jniwrapper plugin under the plugins dir. Can you verify that it is being extracted out? Under the plugins dir, delete the jniwrapper directory and restart spark.

Doesnt help. Could you record how it flashes for you and show to us? gif, flv. Because now i cant imagine how it should look like and why i cant see it.

Hey Wroot,

Are you referring to the system tray icon flashing? I hope so because it would be very strange if Spark is not flashing in your taskbar. Anyone else not having spark flash in the taskbar?

Cheers,

Derek

Well, out of some 31 users, I was able to get it to flash on the taskbar for two of them… So right now, I seem to have 29 computers on which Spark does not flash when you get a message.

So I think this was being caused by Limited User issues that I just fixed. Apparently, in Limited User mode, the plugins are not even being extracted out and classloaded. All fixed up now

Cheers,

Derek

Derek, i was referring to

which would cause issues such as the trays not blinking, etc.

Chat window in taskbar is flashing for me, even in Limited rights environment. But i need tray, systray, icon to notify me about new messages. Because taskbar could be too cluttered and chat window could be out of sight.