powered by Jive Software

Not Authorized

Today I upgraded openfire 3.8.0 to 3.8.2 on my ubuntu 12.04 LTS machine.

All user accounts created since the update are not able to connect from clients and get “Not Authorized” errors on Adium for example. On BeejiveIM the error is “incorrect username or password”.

I can connect fine using user accounts created before the upgrade.

Please help.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Following weird behaviour:

Prior to upgrade to 3.8.2 I have users X and Y created.

After upgrade I created users A, B.

A, B keep getting “not authorized” errors on various clients I have tested.

X, Y, work.

I deleted all users (X, Y, A, B) and then re-created them. And again X, Y, work, A, B don’t or any others that I create since the upgrade.

I’m stumped.

It seems the following solved the problem: adding the domain/hostname to the fqdn attribute…

…and also using the right JID format.

Not seeing such issue after upgrading 3.8.1 to 3.8.2 on Win7 x64. Didn’t have to do anything.

I found a similar problem with many xmpp clients: not authorized or bad user/pass.

Turn on debug logging and then look through what it says. It’s long but may provide useful info.

For me I found Certification errors in most cases.

I was only able to connect with 2 (of 14) clients I tested, on Windows, Android and Symbian OS’s. Very sad.

I have just reinstalled Openfire 3.9.1 to replace a non working version and all the clients are Pidgin 2.10.7.

The Openfire install is a basic install with LDAP but the clients have been around for years.

On opening pidgin there are no users displayed, but by showing off line buddies many are showing as Not Authorized…

Don’t know whats causing this or how to fix it.

Yes! I am seeing the same David. Since I see no answer here I will keep digging through the posts. If I find a fix I will post it here.

Thanks, Paul