Null Pointer Exception Setting Up 3.6.0a with LDAP

I needed to update to a newer version of OpenFire (3.6.0a), so at the same time I thought I would do a fresh install and set it up to use LDAP.

I went into setup and made it past the first set of entries to setup the user info, but then there was a setup page for LDAP groups. We don’t use LDAP groups, so i left the page as is and had the following exception:

INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

RequestURI=/setup/setup-admin-settings.jsp
Caused by:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.setup.setup_002dadmin_002dsettings_jsp._jspServ ice(setup_002dadmin_002dsettings_jsp.java:99)
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:487)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1093)
at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:11 8)
at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1084)
at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:66)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1084)
at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingF ilter.java:42)
at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:70)
at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:99)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:360)
at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:726)
at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:405)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollect ion.java:206)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:324)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:505)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.j ava:829)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:514)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:211)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:380)
at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:395)
at org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:488)

If I clear out the entries for the group LDAP items and continue, I still get this exception.

I’m kind of blocked here. Thanks for any assistance.

-Dave

What type of LDAP server are you using?

From what I have been told, the server is a Microsoft one, though with other applications I have not had any problems using it with openLdap.

Did you ever solve this? I’ve receieved the exact same null pointer error during setup and I can’t find a fix.

Cayce

Unfortunately I have not had a response of any kind, nor have I looked into solving it further. For now I have put off upgrading.

-Dave

I am still seeing this error in 3.6.3; just tried to set up with LDAP integration to OpenLDAP 2.4. If I hit ‘Test Settings’, I get a dialog showing some found groups and the number of members in them, but if I hit ‘Save and Continue’ or even go and manually click on ‘Admin Account’ on the left panel, the same error pops up.

It should be noted that the form GETs successfully to setup-ldap-settings.jsp, and receives a redirect to setup-admin-settings.jsp?ldap=true, and it is setup-ldap-settings.jsp that is throwing the exception.

Aha! If you turn off LDAP connection pooling, the error doesn’t happen. How interesting.