Odd MSN issue - no actions after successful login

Been fighting this today. It could be MSN’‘s issue i guess, but that doesn’'t help me :stuck_out_tongue:

I had wildfire 3.2 today, and then upgraded to openfire 3.2.2 and then installed IM gateware beta 5 from this forum. All with same result, connection only worked once.

Basically, when i log in into my account (tried Psi, Spark and Exodus, but it shouldn’‘t matter, right…), the connection to MSN server is initiated (by the way it goes to 207.46.106.86 for me, although 65.54.239.20 i put into config, i guess there’'s some sort of redirect there). The connection stays, but nothing is returned to the client - the transport icon stays off. Then connection dies after a while - timeout, i guess. All this monitored using Active Ports monitoring software.

Tried turning on debug info - nothing useful there. There’'s literally no information being exchanged, in the debug log. Only my own presence changes.

Tried watching my own MSN account from another one - the user never comes online.

Finally, tried logging into the MSN using messenger - that works fine. When i log in from Openfire, MSN says i have logged from another machine!

So my theory is that IM-Gateway sends login info to MSN server, but gets nothing in return, or doesn’‘t get what’‘s expected. There’‘s no way for me to figure out what’'s going on, as nothing shows up in the logs… so in the end of the day i decided to post here.

arsa wrote:

Been fighting this today. It could be MSN’‘s issue i guess, but that doesn’'t help me :stuck_out_tongue:

I had wildfire 3.2 today, and then upgraded to openfire 3.2.2 and then installed IM gateware beta 5 from this forum. All with same result, connection only worked once.

Basically, when i log in into my account (tried Psi, Spark and Exodus, but it shouldn’‘t matter, right…), the connection to MSN server is initiated (by the way it goes to 207.46.106.86 for me, although 65.54.239.20 i put into config, i guess there’'s some sort of redirect there). The connection stays, but nothing is returned to the client - the transport icon stays off. Then connection dies after a while - timeout, i guess. All this monitored using Active Ports monitoring software.

MSN (and AIM/ICQ for that matter) connects to a lot of different servers to get it’‘s job done. Some of it is even done via standard HTTP. When the new site comes along I’'m hoping to create a couple of little documents to help explain the process and “where the value you entered” fits in.

Tried turning on debug info - nothing useful there. There’'s literally no information being exchanged, in the debug log. Only my own presence changes.

Hrm. Can you at least see where the XMPP client contacted the MSN gateway and the various debug messages indicating it’‘s “trying to log in”? Like does it get to a point where it indicates that it’‘s logging in and then debug messages just stop coming for MSN? Have you used the admin interface to “Test Connection” to make sure it’'s at least able to connect to the host and port in the config?

Tried watching my own MSN account from another one - the user never comes online.

Finally, tried logging into the MSN using messenger - that works fine. When i log in from Openfire, MSN says i have logged from another machine!

MSN automatically accounts for some isms and tries to dodge around proxies and firewalls and such. (something that I hope to do at some point but isn’'t done yet)

As for logged in from another machine, it almost sounds like you are connecting to the login server just fine, and the nexus server, but probably the actual … I just call it chat server… seems to never work.

So my theory is that IM-Gateway sends login info to MSN server, but gets nothing in return, or doesn’‘t get what’‘s expected. There’‘s no way for me to figure out what’'s going on, as nothing shows up in the logs… so in the end of the day i decided to post here.

Hrm. Yeah I have trouble debugging things like this without being able to see the traffic for myself. Of course I never run into these issues so it’'s double hard to debug. =/ Do you have any form of firewall/proxy/whatever set up on your network?

It’'s funny, i do get some offline messages, and apparently hotmail notifications (according to debug log). But not actual connection.

I have submitted a ticket to our hoster to check if their IDS system is acting up (they had it block our CVS in the past, for example). Will see tomorrow.

well, i’'ll be darned… it does work with my other @hotmail account, but not my much needed @mycompany account.

The connection is established with a different IP address, 207.46.106.52, so it may very well be nexus issue. but i have no idea what really happens.

obviously this should be the issue with the MSN lib you are using (Java-JML)? by the way, i tried other open jabber servers (not the openfire hosted by myself), since i was desperate, and they do work (may be using different servers and libs, sure…). and since it started only couple of days ago, it probably is something MS changed with some accounts (see http://www.igniterealtime.org/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=27865&tstart=0 )

That’‘s totally weird! Ok when you say “mycompany.org” are you just referring to a regular account registered with MSN Live or whatever the hell they’‘re calling it this month that doesn’'t have a hotmail.com address? Not referring to some sort of special internal MSN server you all set up? (just making sure)

As always, I wonder why “it’'s working for me”. scratch head

Ok… i took wireshark (former ethereal) and analysed MSN traffic during this… tried to see what the difference is, since i have no idea how MSN works. Well, it came out to be pretty obvious - you never send PNG command when i use me@mycompany.com , and you do send it with hotmail.com registration. Odd, right? But everything else seems to be coming through - all the logins, status notification etc.

The PNG should come out after “CHG 6 NLN 1342472236” that comes in.

As a result QNG never comes in, and i guess that’‘s why online status doesn’'t change properly in the client.

Beats me why it would do that, could be choking on some data that comes in, but that doesn’'t seem likely…

I have excel file (or csv if you prefer) of data exchange, if you can’‘t figure it out without my data. I know you do some work on java-jml, so it should be possible to fix (if that’'s a bug in the lib).

Message was edited by: arsa

I’‘m afraid not actually. PNG is a ping. After you’‘ve connected successfully its a "hey i’'m still here" so it being missing is likely a factor of not having logged in.

The PNG should come out after “CHG 6 NLN 1342472236” that comes in.

As a result QNG never comes in, and i guess that’‘s why online status doesn’'t change properly in the client.

Beats me why it would do that, could be choking on some data that comes in, but that doesn’'t seem likely…

I have excel file (or csv if you prefer) of data exchange, if you can’‘t figure it out without my data. I know you do some work on java-jml, so it should be possible to fix (if that’'s a bug in the lib).

I would like a copy of the data exchange though! Please email to me! I’'ll see if I see anything odd about it.

arsa wrote:

Ok… i took wireshark (former ethereal) and analysed MSN traffic during this… tried to see what the difference is, since i have no idea how MSN works. Well, it came out to be pretty obvious - you never send PNG command when i use me@mycompany.com , and you do send it with hotmail.com registration. Odd, right? But everything else seems to be coming through - all the logins, status notification etc.

Right, I did read the docs on PNG. However, if you never send a PNG it doesn’‘t seem to send back the QNG back ever, and i suspect that’'s what triggers “online” status.

Anyways, sent you the data exchange file in excel format, watch for email with “msn data log” subject

Naw you don’‘t actually “have” to send a PNG at all. It’‘s just a keepalive. If you are actively causing traffic you don’‘t ever need it. Of course there’‘s no reason -not- to do it, but it don’'t have a direct role in the login process itself.

Well, whatever the reason, as far as outgoing data that’‘s the only difference between the two. So that’'s the only logical explanation i can find.

Well looking over the two I noticed that things actually seem to be going fine. I mean you got your roster on both instances. for all practical purposes i see no reason why it wasn’'t a success . . . from those logs. Do you have gaim or adium x installed? Would you mind logging in via one of those and just making sure it works properly with either of them?

I am watching my mycompany login from another account now (using msn messenger), and it does log on - the status changes fine. however, no messages are sent through.

So you are right, the logon process works just fine from MSN’‘s standpoint. But not from IM-Gateway’'s.

Again, my theory is that IM-Gateway doesn’'t recognize logon process as complete because QNG never arrives, and QNG never arrives because PNG is never sent (i think that has to work like that purely on the basis of how it works with hotmail account).

I am going to try and take a look at the source to see if i can figure this out… this is driving me mad, besides i am planning to put jabber client on my bosses Treo, so it has to work :stuck_out_tongue:

You said you used MSN messenger though =) The reason I asked about gaim/pidgin or adium x is because I can actually look at their source code and see what they are doing. (in fact JML -should- be doing the same thingish) That said, if there’'s any way you could get a packet capture similar to what you sent me before using a real MSN messenger that would also be extremely helpful!

Sorry for all the debugging steps but I’'m mystified and trying to cover everything.

Will do. I did dig into JML already though, and it seems that fireLoginCompleted (which in turn calls loginCompleted in your MSNListener) is ran from IncomingUSR method messageReceived. And it’'s based on line 13 in my excel spreadsheets - the “USR 4 OK me@hotmail.com 1 0” message. So… kinda dead-end, since they both work the same

We’‘ll figure this out =) It’'s got to be something simple!

Well, guess what, 1.1 release fixed it! I think i was looking at the updated version of jml library yesterday, where it’'s possible the bug was already fixed I should have tried beta 7, which used updated jml, before going through all this.

Thanks for the release

That’s awesome news! Thanks for letting me know!