OF3.6.0a/SQLException: simultaneous builds has been throttled to 10

Got many of this exceptions in info.log:

2008.11.02 14:07:21 Unable to get a connection from the database pool (attempt 1 out of 10).
java.sql.SQLException: We are already in the process of making 11 connections and the number of simultaneous builds has been throttled to 10
        at org.logicalcobwebs.proxool.Prototyper.checkSimultaneousBuildThrottle(Prototyper.java:260)
        at org.logicalcobwebs.proxool.ConnectionPool.getConnection(ConnectionPool.java:164)
        at org.logicalcobwebs.proxool.ProxoolDriver.connect(ProxoolDriver.java:89)
        at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:582)
        at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:154)
        at org.jivesoftware.database.DefaultConnectionProvider.getConnection(DefaultConnectionProvider.java:75)
        at org.jivesoftware.database.DbConnectionManager.getConnection(DbConnectionManager.java:104)
        at org.jivesoftware.openfire.pubsub.PubSubPersistenceManager.removePublishedItem(PubSubPersistenceManager.java:1052)
        at org.jivesoftware.openfire.pubsub.PublishedItemTask.run(PublishedItemTask.java:62)
        at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Timer.java:512)
        at java.util.TimerThread.run(Timer.java:462)

Server was probably frozen for a few minutes. Also there where disconnects reported to me, but this may caused by something else. Google found this, is it possible to increase this setting? Does it make sense?
http://proxool.sourceforge.net/properties.html#simultaneous-build-throttle

I had similar database problems a few weeks before:
http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/thread/35031

Guus told me there I should modify DefaultConnectionProvider as follows:

settings.setProperty("proxool.simultaneous-build-throttle", Integer.toString(getMaxConnections()));

I have 200-250 concurrent users. A very small server compared with the ten thousands of users that Openfire should support. Why do I need to modify the source?!

maxConnections is already set to 50