On Phone status bug

I have OpenFire 3.7.1 running with Asterisk-IM 1.4.0. It is communicating just fine with the phone server. We are using Spark 2.6.3. The users automaticly change status of “On phone” and back to “available” accordingly. However ever once in a while it gets stuck as a status of "On phone”. This appears to be a bug on the Spark client. I was able to reproduce the issue in the following manner. This is on a windows 7 64 bit machine.

User gets on the phone status changes to “On Phone”. User locks the computer while on the phone. User hangs up the phone call. When the call hangs up the status goes to available even though the computer is locked which usually the status would be “unavailable”. User then unlocks computer and the status changes from “Available” to “on phone”. This then stays there unless user changes it. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I have tried with other Jabber clients and they do not cause this same issue but the other jabber clients do not work well with other features.

Anyone has any suggestions to fix this or work arounds? Has anyone confirmed this as a bug and placed it in the bug tracker to get it fixed?

I’m having the same issue as well. I have been successful in recreating the issue. I have Spark open and my status is online. I get on the phone and my computer locks. I get off the phone and unlock my computer and my status stays as " On the Phone ".

Has anyone come up with a solution yet??

First of all, it is interesting to hear that Asterisk IM plugin is actuallyworking for someone woth the new Openfire version. I have seen reports on the forums and thought the compatibility was broken. I have filed your report, though i haven’t tested it (i don’t have Asterisk setup). Not sure who and when will fix this. SPARK-1455

The plugin seems to be working very nicely. I have not noticed any major issues. The only issue that is occuring is the status issue mentioned above. I thank you for pushing this into getting resolved.

any news on this? i have the same issue. as soon as any users gets on the phone, and spark changes its status to “on the phone”, it stays like this for the rest of the day… so i have “on the phone” status for 90% of all online users.

thanks in advance

No news. No developers - no fixes. Unless someone step in and provide a patch.

“No developers - no fixes”

I guess this one’s right Is it possible to hire developers to fix this? If yes, where to find them?

Well, i don’t know. You can search for your local java programmer, who will look through Spark (and maybe Asterisk also) source code and figure out how to fix this.

This product has been working perfectly for us! If all we have to do is find a java programmer to fix this little issue it would be well worth it. Rather than hire any java programmer to fix this is there any for hire that is familar with this product that can be found on the amazon mechanical turk or sites like it?

I don’t know of any developer who is available for hire here.

We have the same problem. It appears to only affect a few of our extensions. And when a couple of the extension moved to a remote location (with bad internet connection) the problem occurrs much more frequently.

All of our extensions using Cisco/Linksys/Sipura SPA2100 (or similar) ATA adapters.

What type of extensions are others experiencing this problem using?

I’m wondering if there are not some settings (on the extension device or in Openfire) that will improve the situation?

We have captured debug logs but I’ve yet to identify much. I’m thinking it has to be a message from Asterisk to Openfire that is not arriving - because the “on phone” with yellow unavailable icon shows up on all other user’s Spark.

The poster that said the screen saver may be causing it that is interesting. I’ll check with my users and see if that is consistent.

In the meantime, any other observations about details of the problem could be helpful to isolate the problem - reducing the actual effort to create a real fix.

If someone is reading this and can provided a proper patch version of Juan’s proposed fix ([SPARK-1455] Spark is getting stuck with “On Phone” status after unlocking Windows - Jive Software Open Source ), then attach it here (diff format) or submit it as a PR to our Github repository igniterealtime/Spark · GitHub

If anyone is still following this, please test the following build to see if it resolves the issue

http://bamboo.igniterealtime.org/artifact/SPARK-INSTALL4J/shared/build-785/Insta ll4j/spark_2_7_5_785.exe

Hi - thank you, thank you. Sorry to get back so late.

I installed the patched version a couple of weeks ago, intending to deploy to more users after making sure it was stable in our environment. Then life happened.

Anyway I am now deploying to more workstations. In about a week I am hoping to be able to confirm that this helps.

Thank you again - Richard


There was a few more changes made after the above build that popped up after testing. They have been included with the latest release, so you may want to give that one a go instead.