Online contacts being shown as offline to some users

Hi:

I’m using Openfire 3.6.4 on Linux CentOS 5.4 with Active Directory integration for users and groups, using MySQL as database backend. We have about 400 users, and most of them are grouped into 3 groups.

At any time the number of online users are about 100, but to some users they can see a lot of them as offline when they’re really online. Users are using Pandion 2.6.70 on Windows platform (2000, XP, Vista).

I created a new user ‘arengifo’ and added it to one of my groups; after sharing to them a contact list containing all users of some group, my user ‘arengifo’ only was able to view 2 o 3 contacts offline, but after 5, 10, 30, … minutes more contacts starting to appear as online but they were always online!

Could someone give some ideas how to debug this? I was looking for similar problems at the forum with no luck. I’d appreciate some help.

Thanks.
Log and settings.zip (48969 Bytes)

could be a pandion issue. try a side by side with another client.

I tried with different versions of Pandion, then I tried from a Linux box using Kopete, then I used a web client installed on the same openfire server. Other user tried a different Jabber client (i think it was Jabbear), and PSI also.

No matter what jabber client we’re using, the problem is the same… I also tried:

1. Restarting the MySQL Server

2. Cleaning some (and then all) cache options of openfire server.

3. Checking server load with uptime: is very low 0.3, 0.6, 0.1 …

4. Checking active connections with netstat: there’s a lot of connections to port 5222, but none of them have SYN_WAIT status (I read this in a thread of this forum)

5. There isn’t latency problems between server and clients. Even a web client running on the openfire server (with no latency) has the same problem.

Just today at 07:30 am, I decided to restart the server (with only 2 users online, I couldn’t restart it before because of concurrency of users) and when I log in I do view the others 2 contacts online…

Okey but this is just with 3 users (me and 2 more), What can I do when more users (approx. 150 - 200) are connected and the problem described before happens again?

Thanks

I am having a similar problem with my new openfire server, Running openfire 3.6.4 on a Debian Lenny server. I have experienced the problem with psi, kopete, pidgin and the spark client. I have yet to come accross a solution. I also tried hunting down the connections, clearing caches etc. Ohh yeah, I am accessing an openLdap server as well.

I am not sure if anyone else is still having this problem, I am.

I have found some information in another thread(there are alot of them, but they all never seem to resolve themselves).

The links in there seem to be dead but I played around with the cache and set the maxlifetime on the roster, user and offlinepresence cache to 1 minute and then restarted my openfire server. Two minutes later two more users came in and logged on. They are still shown as offline 5 minutes later and I can send them messages. Something to try, but did not solve the problem.

Here is a link describing the cache issues.

http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/docs/DOC-1673