Open ports?

Do I’'ve to open up ports on my server to connect to the various services? If so which ones should I open and do they only need to allow TCP traffic?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, depending on what services you are going to use - goto your console - http://localhost:9090 - click on ‘‘Server’’ - ‘‘Server Settings’’ - then the button ‘‘Edit Properties’’. There will be a list of services and ports. hope this helps

Actually, if you’‘re talking about the IM Gateway transports, then no. All connections are outbound so as long as your firewall allows outbound connections, you’‘re OK. If you’‘re talking about other XMPP server to server connections (like Google), then you’'ll need to open port 5269.

Thanks for the responses folks. I’‘ve had Wildfire running and it’‘s able to communicate to Google (5222 and 5269). I installed the IM gateway yesterday and haven’‘t been able to the accounts to sign on to the service after a registering accounts. Maybe I’'m missing something else. I need to go back to the docs. Again, thanks for the assistance.

See if there’‘s anything in the logs, maybe with debug turned on. Also, Ethereal (or Wireshark) is a great tool for seeing exactly what’'s going out on the wire to the remote systems.

gtj wrote:

All connections are outbound so as long as your firewall allows outbound connections, you’'re OK

And what if it doesn’‘t? We’‘re using a setup where to connect to IM applications you either need to use the HTTP/HTTPS/Socks proxy. I don’'t see support for any of these options in either the Wildfire Admin Console or the Spark application itself.

Ideally I’'d like the users to enter their own username and password (and address/type of proxy) into their preferences themselves. Do we see something like this happening any time soon? Spark is great for most of our users, but some of our users want to use AIM as they have contacts on AIM.

I have the same problem.

I have the gateway plugin setup on a server behind a very restrictive firewall.

There is a socks proxy available to connect to the likes of msn. Is there any way to configure wildfire so that the gateway plugin will work on my server using

the proxy? Would changing the host and port information for the gateway to point to the socks proxy work, or woudl it jsut try to authenticate msn accounts using the proxy server?

bugmenot user wrote:
gtj wrote:

All connections are outbound so as long as your firewall allows outbound connections, you’'re OK

And what if it doesn’‘t? We’‘re using a setup where to connect to IM applications you either need to use the HTTP/HTTPS/Socks proxy. I don’'t see support for any of these options in either the Wildfire Admin Console or the Spark application itself.

Said support does not exist yet. GATE-130

Ideally I’'d like the users to enter their own username and password (and address/type of proxy) into their preferences themselves. Do we see something like this happening any time soon? Spark is great for most of our users, but some of our users want to use AIM as they have contacts on AIM.

Hrm. This might be possible. GATE-131 I’'m glad you brought this up now before I already implemented proxy support. ;D

skyhawk wrote:

I have the same problem.

I have the gateway plugin setup on a server behind a very restrictive firewall.

There is a socks proxy available to connect to the likes of msn. Is there any way to configure wildfire so that the gateway plugin will work on my server using

the proxy? Would changing the host and port information for the gateway to point to the socks proxy work, or woudl it jsut try to authenticate msn accounts using the proxy server?

See other above reply. ;D

Thanks guys, once this gets implemented we’‘ll be able to dump AIM once and for all! It’'s been a thorn in my side for far too long.

One other thought, it might be nice to have a “use my current username and password” option (which would probably be set as default, whenever single sign-in is implemented) for the proxy authentication as well as allowing people to enter the details.

Looking forward to this!