Openfire 3.3.2 java heap size on MAC OS

Hi,

I am testing Openfire scallability for offline messages using MySQL database. Right now I have approx 40K messages for one user in the jiveOffline table. When I connect a client I wrote using Smack API, the server very quickly throws:

2007.08.31 09:13:17 org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler.exceptionCaught(ConnectionHandl er.java:109)

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

I have seen instructions on changing the java heap settings for Windows and Linux, but I can’t find any instructions for MAC. For the matter, event the installation instructions don’t mention anything for MAC despite the fact that Openfire distribution is offered for this OS as well.While I fully realize that MAC OS sits on top of Linux, there are some differences in the installation.

So I have two requests:

1. Can someone please tell me which file needs the changes (adding OPENFIRE_OPTS="-Xms512m -Xmx1024m" to openfire.sh in /usr/local/openfire/bin didn’t make any difference.

2. Can you please update the documentation for MAC distribution.

Monika,

It looks like you can do what you want by setting the INSTALL4J_ADD_VM_PARAMS variable at the top of the script in the same way you tried to set OPENFIRE_OPTS. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Nate

Where is this variable used? Because while I can try to add it, I don’t see it being called anywhere, as opposed to OPENFIRE_OPTS which is part of the following command in openfire.sh:

openfire_exec_command=“exec $JAVACMD -server $OPENFIRE_OPTS -classpath “$LOCALCLASSPATH” -jar “$OPENFIRE_LIB/startup.jar””

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under impression that INSTALL4J_ADD_VM_PARAMS variable was used in previous versions of Openfire and now it is replaced with OPENFIRE_OPTS.

I have found second shell script openfire under /usr/local/openfire/bin/extra/redhat which also is using OPENFIRE_OPTS variable. I added the same settings to this script, restarted the server but I run into the same problem. As soon as I run my Smack client and try to process offline messages, I get the same error:

2007.08.31 11:15:08 org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler.exceptionCaught(ConnectionHandle r.java:109)

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space