Openfire 3.3.3 Setup needed again?

Hello All,

I am having a difficult time accessing the admin console with Openfire 3.3.3.

Recently, there was a power outage at my office that effected the CentOS 5 Linux server that our Installation of Openfire 3.3.3 runs on. Once the server came online again, users were able to connect and communicate. However, when trying to access the admin console I was asked once again to set up the server.

Trying to do so resulted in errors (Internal Server Error 500 and a bunch of Java Errors which I can provide if needed).

Trying to start of stop the server using ./openfire gives the following errors:

Error starting server listener on port 5269: Address already in use

Error starting XMPP listener on port 5222: Address already in use

Error starting SSL XMPP listener on port 5223: Address already in use

Openfire 3.3.3

Admin console listening at:

http://delta.fglco.local:9090

https://delta.fglco.local:9091

I don’t know if it’s relevant, but the server clock was set back exactly 24 hours from the time the server came back on. I have since changed the server time, but couldn’t access the admin console before or after.

Is there something I can do to access the admin console again?

Thank you for your help.

-Mike Burnard

Hey Mike,

The Address already in use error means that another process is already using the desired port. It seems that there is an Openfire server running and you are trying to start up another one. Stop the server and make sure that the other process is stopped too. You can execute jps to see the Java processes running. Take note of the process ID using the Startup name. Go ahead and kill it executing kill [process id]. If jps shows that it’s still running you can force a quit by executing kill -9 [process id].

The setup process is required when the conf/openfire.xml file has the setup property in false. After you complete the setup the server will update that file and set the property to true. Make sure that the user running the server can write on that file. Otherwise, each time you restart the server you will be asked to complete the setup.

Regards,

– Gato

This sounds correct to me. I’m going to give it a try as soon as I can boot everyone offline.

Thanks!

-Mike B.

I just wanted to confirm that you solution did the trick. Thanks so much for your help!

-Mike B.