Openfire 3.4.1 "Packet sent to unreachable address"

I’ve been seeing these errors in my info/warn/debug logs along with a strange behavior I’m assuming has something to do with it. I did a search and saw some posts about older versions and this issue but not a solution.

2007.11.05 11:03:55 Packet sent to unreachable address

<iq id=“0YnQ6-18” to=“someone@server/spark” type=“get” from=“adifferentperson@server/spark”>

&lt;query xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info"/&gt;

</iq>2007.11.05 13:08:37 Packet sent to unreachable address

<iq id=“1oO1b-34” to=“someoneelse@server/spark” type=“get” from=“anotherperson@server/spark”>

&lt;query xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info"/&gt;

</iq>

There isn’t any network reason these packets wouldn’t be able to get to the respective machines. I did read in another post something about compression which is turned on so I shut that off today to see how it goes. Along with this error I have had the odd behavior of people being online but spark not seeing they are online. Over time after I logged in people slowly started to show back up. I was thinking this was related if the client and server are having issues chatting.

Any info is appreciated.

Edit:

After shutting off compression and leaving debugging on for a while I’m seeing slightly different messages but similiar theme.

007.11.06 07:27:23 Failed to route packet to JID: someone@server packet:

<message id=“gAQ48-24” to=“someone@utlive” from=“someonelse@server/spark”>

<x xmlns=“jabber:x:event”/>

</message>

Second Edit:

I’ve also noticed in the warning log some more similar messages related to undelivered packets.

2007.11.06 08:01:22 Error or result packet could not be delivered

<iq type=“result” id=“FONEC-471” to=“someone@server/spark”>

<query xmlns=“jabber:iq:private”>

<scratchpad xmlns=“scratchpad:tasks”/>

</query>

</iq>

Something else to note this is running on a virtual server, I don’t think that would make any difference but something worth mentioning perhaps. The OS is Windows 2003 and database is linked to Microsoft SQL.

same problem here

2007.12.22 14:26:25 Packet sent to unreachable address

<iq type=“get” to=“pele@b44.bg.wi/Psi” id=“ab12a” from=“tnt@b44.bg.wi/Psi”>

<query xmlns=“jabber:iq:version”/>

</iq>

2007.12.22 14:26:25 Packet sent to unreachable address

<iq type=“get” to=“dooki@b44.bg.wi/Psi” id=“ab19a” from=“tnt@b44.bg.wi/Psi”>

</iq>

2007.12.22 14:26:26 Error or result packet could not be delivered

<iq from=“bole@b61.bg.wi/Miranda” to=“tnt@b44.bg.wi/Psi” type=“error” id=“ab17a”>

<error code=“404” type=“wait”>

<recipient-unavailable xmlns=“urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas”/>

</error>

</iq>

<iq from=“miljenko@b61.bg.wi/Psi” to=“tnt@b44.bg.wi/Psi” type=“error” id=“ab35a”>

</error>

</iq>

<iq from=“miljenko@b61.bg.wi/Psi” to=“tnt@b44.bg.wi/Psi” type=“error” id=“ab1aa”>

</error>

</iq>

I ended up guessing it was somethign to do with Java, since there was no network problem that I could find. I decided to chalk it up to Java some times being quirky about cross-platform and installed openfire on a linux server (which I assumed it was being developed on) and I haven’t seen the error since then. I don’t know if it is truely due to running on windows but I haven’t seen it since then and I do not have the users with status update issues anymore.

The problem could have something to do with Java however I know it’s not a Windows specific thing because I have the same problem on a CentOS 5 server. I also have not found a solution to the problem itself however I have found the piece of code that outputs both of the errors that we constantly see within the info log. They are as follows within IQRouter.java.

if (XMPPServer.getInstance().isLocal(recipientJID)) {

ClientSession session = sessionManager.getSession(recipientJID);

if (session != null) {

if (session.canProcess(packet)) {

session.process(packet);

handlerFound = true;

}

}

else {

Log.info("Packet sent to unreachable address " + packet);

}

}

else {

ChannelHandler route = routingTable.getRoute(recipientJID);

if (route != null) {

route.process(packet);

handlerFound = true;

}

else {

Log.info("Packet sent to unreachable address " + packet);

}

}

I’m not a developer for openfire though so I can’t really go beyond this other then pointing out it seems that the else statement seems to be getting hit quite often with session = null and route = null.

There also seems to be another post about a previous version having the same problems. http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/thread/28519

Hi,

I have the same problem and getting the folloiwng warnings

2008.08.14 16:11:03 Error or result packet could not be delivered

it is still a problem or any one comes with solution.

Thnaks,

I’m having the same issue here as well.

2008.09.03 15:00:58 Packet sent to unreachable address

Try checking your system time, that was my problem.

#ntpdate pool.ntp.org

I also restarted my eth0 interface, fwiw (gentoo), pretty sure it was the date though.

Has anyone been able to find a solution to this? We are running 3.6.2 and we are still seeing this exact issue.

I’m new here, is there any way to get this bug queued to be fixed?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Corey

Do devs even read this stuff? I have never found a solution to an issue that I have posted about or searched for on these forums. bump

im seeing this issue as well, on 3.6.4.

not even sure what is actually going on because im not seeing any apparent service interruption.

also i would like to get this cleared out!!

is there any movement on this ticket for anyone??