Openfire 3.6.4 on Redhat 5.5 Lock Out Error after changing hosts file

I have tried to find a close enough scenario in the current issue discussions and cannot. I am new to openfire, very good friends with Linux and am happy to read whatever documents I have not found. I am running an Openfire 3.6.4 on RedHat 5.5 (Tikanga) and using the local users only, no LDAP. I was first fixing an issue of the clustering not running. When I adjusted the hosts file and got the clustering running, I found that if you log out and try to log back in, you get the error I have placed at the end of this post.

Here are the scenarios I tested. In a nutshell, I am wondering if something in the locks is not cleared? Does something underlying rely on DNS lookups and won’t refer to hosts at all? The addition to hosts which I refer to, is the server’s own IP address which is displayed in an “UnknownHosts” error if I to not enter it. That keeps the clustering from working.

• If I start the server without the additions to /etc/hosts.
    - I can log in as admin
    - I cannot start the cluster. It terminates with the unknown host issue.

• if I edit /etc/hosts and add the IP address.
    - I can log in as admin
    - I can start the clustering, it works.

• If I restart the daemon with /etc/init.d/openfire restart
    - I cannot log in as admin. Just after entering admin/, it gets a java error about “LockOutAccounts”(please see details below)

• if I then remove the entries from /etc/hosts
    - I am back at square on, I can log in as admin and not cluster.

I ran strace on the daemon (verbose=all). It all looks good.

Any suggestions, thoughts, questions that might lead to one of the first two?

Below is the LockOutAccounts error message:

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.lockout.LockOutManager.getInstance(LockOutManager.jav a:58)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.auth.AuthFactory.authenticate(AuthFactory.java:154)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.login_jsp._jspService(login_jsp.java:149)
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:487)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1093)
at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:39)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1084)
at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:66)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1084)
at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingF ilter.java:42)
at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:70)
at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:146)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:360)
at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:726)
at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:405)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollect ion.java:206)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:324)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:505)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:843 )
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:648)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:205)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:380)
at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:395)
at org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:488)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to access backing cache for Locked Out Accounts. BackingMapManager is a com.tangosol.net.DefaultConfigurableCacheFactory$Manager and backing map is com.tangosol.net.cache.LocalCache
at com.jivesoftware.util.cache.ClusteredCache.init(ClusteredCache.java:106)
at com.jivesoftware.util.cache.ClusteredCache.(ClusteredCache.java:59)
at com.jivesoftware.util.cache.CoherenceClusteredCacheFactory.createCache(Coherenc eClusteredCacheFactory.java:177)