Openfire 3.7.1 stops working normally

Hello,

We have Openfire 3.7.1 running on Ubuntu 8.04 (Running on Vmware ESXi 4.1). The server was configured with 1G memory, now we increased the memory to 1.5G.

The number of users using the server is aproximately 250.

The** java memory** is set to: “-Xms512m -Xmx1024m”

The caches is configured as follows:

cache.username2roster.size 5242880

cache.vcardCache.size 5242880

The issue

Once per day the server stops exchanging messages between clients (at least some of them) and refusing new login attempts (with the error “Invalid Username/Password”).

According to my observations so far it seems that something “is eating” java memory - the value that is visible through the admin console.

In the error.log we are observing the following errors:

org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapGroupProvider - Groupname Co-worker not found

org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapGroupProvider - Groupname General not found

and also

org.jivesoftware.openfire.handler.IQHandler - Internal server error

java.lang.NullPointerException

It seems that these errors are coming from search of the personal groups ( configured on some client from ICQ, or other IM) in LDAP.

But i’m wondering could this search be the reason for memory leaks or something…?

Did you disable PEP?

Openfire up to and including version 3.6.4 (and looks like 3.7.0 too) suffers from a memory leak in its PEP component. If your Openfire server is crashing with OutOfMemoryExceptions, you might be having this problem.

As a workaround, you can disable PEP, by setting the Openfire property xmpp.pep.enabled to false.

More information can be found in this discussion: Openfire 3.6.4 memory leak with Empathy

Hello,

We have disabled it months ago with no effect. The issue persist…

Hi Hristo,

Have you fixed this issue?

I’m getting the exactly same problem. I also use LDAP and configured the same lack of Java memory you did.

I’ve already disabled PEP and the issue persist.

There are almost 200 concurrent users over this server.

Thanks.