powered by Jive Software

Openfire 3.8.1 Alpha loses settings

I have installed Openfire 3.8.0, but it did not work for me due to a bug where one could not set it to auto add users to a group - there was an internal error and this is a known issue. As per the bug report, the recommendation was to try and use a nightly snapshot, which I did. However it suffers from a serious problem.

I change the setup flag in openfire.xml to trigger a configuration wizard. Walking through it I configure all my settings and connect. I use Active Directory integration and MySQL. Everything works fine. But the moment I restart the service some values are lost. I cannot connect to the system any more as it says my username is not valid. Changing the setup flag again allows me to follow the wizard. The system remembered all the settings except the LDAP base DN. So I basically just click Next … until I get to AD config, then I configure the DN, and it works again.

I even changed the startup script to run openfire as root to ensure there are no permission issues.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Are you sure 3.8.0 is not running along with new 3.8.1 installation?

Positive as I overwrote 3.8.0 with the new files as per the upgrade instructions:

root@olga:~# ps auxww | grep open
root     45350 13.7 12.7 1072324 128592 pts/0  Sl   10:11  39:00 /opt/jre/bin/java -server -DopenfireHome=/opt/openfire -Dopenfire.lib.dir=/opt/openfire/lib -classpath /opt/openfire/lib/startup.jar -jar /opt/openfire/lib/startup.jar
root     45788  0.0  0.0   9384   928 pts/0    S+   14:55   0:00 grep --color=auto open
root@olga:~# ls -la /opt/openfire/lib/startup.jar
-rw-r--r-- 1 daemon daemon 70213 Feb 20 07:11 /opt/openfire/lib/startup.jar

Additional testing shows this is still applicable to 3.8.1 release. Also, it seems that if the base DN contains anything other than DC="" entries it behaves this way. I cannot add OU="" to the list to narrow the organisational unit more. The moment I do that, when Openfire restarts, i have NO AD access at all (even though after the change I can clearly see the restricted list of entries in AD due to the new base DN filter).