OpenFire 3.8.2 accepting local connections only

Hello,

I have installed OpenFIre 3.8.2 on a Windows Server 2008 SP2 64-bit machine.

OpenFire only accepts connections from the local machine (port 9090 and 5222 have been tested). Any connection attempts from other machines on the same subnet time out.

I have disabled the Windows Firewall and can confirm other services on the host are reachable from other hosts. Only OpenFire services are being rejected.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

How do you try to connect? With Spark or some other client? What do you specify for the server field? Try IP of your server.

We use Pidgin but the tests I’ve done are using telnet.

DNS name resolution is working correctly.

Openfire is not doing any traffic filtering by default. Unless you have put 127.0.0.1 IP in the Server Settings > Registration & Login, it shouldn’t block login attempts. So Pidgin is working locally and you get some error while trying to login from other machines? Are you trying to login with existing users or trying to create new account? I wouldn’t rely on telnet only in testing. So far it looks like some network issue. Have you tried to login using IP address as a server in Pidgin? If that works, then DNS name is not setup correctly.

We removed and reinstalled the server’s virtual NICs and restarted the server as part of troubleshotting another issue. This has resolved the issue.

Thanks for your assistance.