powered by Jive Software

Openfire 4.2.3 to 4.3.2 Upgrade Issues


#1

Hello there,

Running Debian 9, attempted to upgrade twice via a simple dpkg -i openfire_4.3.2_all.deb, selecting N(o) to overwrite the existing /etc/openfire/openfire.xml and then tried both Y(es) and N(o) to overwrite the existing /etc/init.d/openfire.

On service startup it complains constantly about my serverTimezone being “PDT”, so I added “PST” manually to my serverURL string so that it matches:
<serverURL>jdbc:mysql://server.domain.tld:3306/openfire?rewriteBatchedStatements=true&serverTimezone=PST</serverURL>

This stopped that error but openfire comes up as if it’s never been set up, if i go to the admin console (on 9090 via http) and start selecting options as if I’m setting it up new, the logs show that it cannot find/write to the config. It doesn’t say which config but I am assuming it’s /etc/openfire/openfire.xml.

Everything in /etc/openfire is -rw-r--r-- openfire openfire

I checked the init script for references to the config thinking maybe the config location has changed but I don’t see anything.

This is a production server, ended up having to roll back to 4.2.3 until I have more time to poke at it. Any suggestions before I do would be fantastic.

Thanks!


OS Server update crashed web access of openfire
#2

I have seen a number of similar reports, but have no clue what is happening here (not a Linux guy myself) https://issues.igniterealtime.org/browse/OF-1684


#3

Thanks again, wroot!

I should also mention that I’m using this package for java:
openjdk-8-jre-headless:amd64 OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT (headless)


#4

Late to this party, but I just encountered this on CentOS 7 Openfire 4.3.2, following a reboot after a kernel update, but NOT after an OF 4.3.2 upgrade. After the reboot, the JDBC driver was complaining about serverTimezone as well.

I think it may have something to do with JDBC and DST, since this was the first reboot after the time change, but that’s just shooting in the dark.

Adding &amp;serverTimezone=UTC to the <serverURL> resolved it for me, but not the core issue – I think that I also had the same problem as the OP where originally NOT escaping & as &amp; in /opt/openfire/conf/openfire.xml made it re-run the config wizard.

Ended up restoring a backup VM and making my changes there.

But anyways, this was with the RPM, with built-in Java.


#5

The escaping issue is tracked here https://issues.igniterealtime.org/browse/OF-1682