OpenFire 4.7.5 sometimes drop all connections

I have a weird problem, and cannot see anything in the logs indicating what is going on.

OpenFire 4.7.5 sometimes doesn’t accept any connections from Anroid Conversations or Gajim, on various devices. Then I have to restart openfire with “systemctl restart openfire” before it works again.

I am able to access the OpenFire console and restart plugins navigate around without any hassles.

I don’t see anything in the logs which indicate what’s going on. Where / how can I debug this?

Server Uptime:	1 day, 9 hours, 38 minutes -- started Jan 28, 2024, 10:01:04 AM
Version:	Openfire 4.7.5
Server Directory:	/usr/share/openfire
XMPP Domain Name:	x.x.x.x

Environment
Java Version:	17.0.9 Debian -- OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM
Appserver:	jetty/9.4.43.v20210629
Server Host Name (FQDN):	x.x.x.x
OS / Hardware:	Linux / amd64
Locale / Timezone:	en / South Africa Standard Time (2 GMT)
OS Process Owner:	openfire
Java Memory	

255,51 MB of 1024,00 MB (25,0%) used

That’s curious, especially if there is nothing in the logs. Have you also checked syslog, and/or the nohup.out log file? Are connections that have already been established also terminated? If so, what’s the error message that they receive?

My first thought is to verify if this is Openfire, or maybe something else in the network. Can you verify that the requests from the clients make it all the way to the server that is hosting Openfire, when it appears to be unresponsive?

At that very moment when I noticed it, which was about 12 hours ago, I could ping the Openfire sever from my mobile phone. Yet Conversations just gave me an error saying server not found.

the logs doesn’t show anything at about the time I noticed it, which was around about 11:00 am on 29 January 2024:

Jan 28 10:01:01 boervolkwerksaam openfire[97387]: best java alternative in:
Jan 28 10:01:01 boervolkwerksaam openfire[97387]: Starting openfire: openfire.
Jan 28 10:01:01 boervolkwerksaam systemd[1]: Started openfire.service - LSB: Start/stop openfire jabber server.
░░ Subject: A start job for unit openfire.service has finished successfully
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: https://www.debian.org/support
░░ 
░░ A start job for unit openfire.service has finished successfully.
░░ 
░░ The job identifier is 30533.
Jan 29 19:47:07 boervolkwerksaam systemd[1]: Stopping openfire.service - LSB: Start/stop openfire jabber server...
░░ Subject: A stop job for unit openfire.service has begun execution
░░ 
░░ A stop job for unit openfire.service has begun execution.
░░ 
░░ The job identifier is 44506.
Jan 29 19:47:07 boervolkwerksaam openfire[188640]: best java alternative in:
Jan 29 19:47:11 boervolkwerksaam openfire[188640]: Stopping openfire: openfire.
Jan 29 19:47:11 boervolkwerksaam systemd[1]: openfire.service: Deactivated successfully.
░░ Subject: Unit succeeded
░░ 

On my laptop, Gajim didn’t want to connect either, but I could login to the Openfire dashboard. Browsing through the logs at that time doesn’t show me anything useful.

Conversations doesn’t have debugging information so I couldn’t see if it reached the OpenFire server.
I have enabled debugging logging in Gajim, to see what it does next time this happens.