Openfire and AD integration with Zentyal

Finally got Openfire 3.9.3 running on Ubuntu 14 LTS

I’m trying to do the config part and connect my Openfire to my Zentyal PDC. There don’t seem to be many options here, but it seems to not be working.

There is a “Test Connection” button, but it doesn’t seem to do anything except refresh the page. I’ve tried in IE, Firefox and in Chrome. It doesn’t give me a “Failure” or “Success” message, but I’m assuming for the moment that no message=failure, because when I put in gibberish that I know is wrong and test, I get the same behavior.

So here are the settings I’m using:

Type: Active Directory

Hostname: IPof.My.Zentyal.Server (I’m using a local IP since they are on the same LAN)

Port: 389

Base DN: CN=Users,DC=local,DC=mydomain,DC=com

Administrator DN: CN=Adminname,CN=Users,DC=local,DC=mydomain,DC=com

Password=Adminname’sPW

It seems pretty straight forward. Am I missing something here? Do I need to have Samba installed on the Openfire box to connect to a PDC through Openfire?

I’ve successfully joined a NAS and several Windows Workstations to this same Zentyal box, but all using a username@local.mydomain.com + password authentication scheme. This is the first time I am using a DN authentication scheme, but again, it seems pretty straightforward…

Is there anywhere I can check for a little more info on what is happening behind the scenes? The only way I can progress past this point is if I get some error codes or something.

I found this thread with almost the exact same issue: https://igniterealtime.jiveon.com/message/241212#241212

Someone tell me there are logs either for the Openfire installation process, or there are system logs that can give me a hint about what Openfire is doing during the config process so I can see where the AD authentication is failing…

Got the solution from here:

openfire AD integration with Zentyal

Basically I had the DN information wrong for the Administrator. I figured it was something like that but I didn’t know how to check the DN information. The command I needed (at least on a linux box running a samba4 AD DC) was:

ldbsearch -H /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb > ldbsearchresults.txt

I then searched the result file for my Administrator name and I discovered that the DN should be something more like:

DC=Chat Server,OU=Servers,DC=local,DC=mydomainname,DC=com