Openfire Discussion

We need to decide on what we should prioritize firtsly. I think this should be bug fixes (especially security ones). But feature patches could be welcome too. What do you think?

There is already a list of patches waiting for checking http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/docs/DOC-1620

Gato has already incorporated some of the patches from this list. Would be great for him to watch this list closely and we will be adding (well Daryl mostly ) new patches there.

Do we need a MUC session at this point to discuss something (priorities, etc.). Maybe we can schedule a MUC session to talk with Matt and Gato about their optinion and intentions? Because now we still hear not to much from them.

We need to decide on what we should prioritize firtsly. I think this
should be bug fixes (especially security ones). But feature patches
could be welcome too. What do you think?
I think that’s ok.

Do we need a MUC session at this point to discuss something (priorities, etc.).
It should be clear that security issues and bugs should have an higher priorities than new features.

Maybe we can schedule a MUC session to talk with Matt and Gato about their optinion and intentions?
That would be useful.

I think we should also discuss the organisational issues. For example

• List of committers, release manager, …
  • Decision process: which features, patches, … to include, when to release
  • Access to Jira: Open Jira for issue creation by everybody?, …

Access to Jira: Open Jira for issue creation by everybody?, …
That’s not a good idea. I think this would result in many duplicates and bugs that are no bugs. Just check out how many people mark their thread as “bug_report” here in the forums… Only detailed bug reports should reach JIRA:

srt wrote:

I think we should also discuss the organisational issues. For example

• List of committers, release manager, …
  • Access to Jira: Open Jira for issue creation by everybody?, …
    After a discussion in Jive Lounge i understood that direct access to a svn is not really the case. Maybe i’m wrong, then we can discuss this with Matt and Gato. But maybe it will be enough to share, test and then list patches in that document. And then Jive will submit those patches to the code. Of course, this will work only if the response would be fast.

Many of the members (that i have invited) already has such access. We can ask Matt and Gato to give such access to more group member’s of course. Though, maybe it would be enough to just to post your bug report (plus patch if available) here and then one of the members with access will file it. I dont think Jira should be opened for everybody (not only speakking about this group). And i think Jive’s position is the same.

• Decision process: which features, patches, … to include, when to release
    This is probably the topic for MUC session. As Coolcat agree, we should prioritaize on bug fixes. But there could be too many of them. So we should choose few more important. As about “when to release” it will depend on Jive opinion. I think they tend to do this on their own. With the last security fix they were hurrying to fix it and release. Of course, if they join this group, we can ask them to wait until the release till we find a better solution and test it.

But maybe it will be enough to share, test and then list patches in that document. And then Jive will submit those patches to the code. Of course, this will work only if the response would be fast.

As Jive is currently not dedicating any resources to IgniteRealtime this can’t be done by Jive. It could be done by Matt and Gato (who happen to be also employed by Jive) in their spare time. But then this will be Matt and Gato project and not a community project.

srt wrote:

As Jive is currently not dedicating any resources to IgniteRealtime this can’t be done by Jive. It could be done by Matt and Gato (who happen to be also employed by Jive) in their spare time. But then this will be Matt and Gato project and not a community project.

The latest release was done by Jive and the patches were provided by the community. That’s fine with me, and as i undestand most of the members dont want to take over the project or make a fork. I think we should try this approach for now and will see how it works. If it doesnt, we will decide what to do. It’s hard to speak when Matt and Gato hasnt answered yet. I think we should definitely have a MUC session with them both. Maybe we should try to pick a preliminary date and time already. Say this Tuesday, time could be the same as normal Open Chat on Wednesday (10:00am PST (18:00 UTC/GMT)). You can propose your variants. We will have to wait for them to accept some date/time.

Tuesday, 10:00am PST (18:00 UTC) is ok for me.

I am out of office on Tuesday and Wednesday. This Thursday 10:00am PST (18:00 UTC) would be fine for me.

This is fine for me too. So we have two dates so far:

Tuesday Nov-18 10:00am PST (18:00 UTC) - Coolcat, wroot

Thursday Nov-20 10:00am PST (18:00 UTC) - srt, wroot