Openfire Exception: Failed to create new connections on startup?

Okay, I’m getting an exception when Openfire tries to start up, saying it failed to create new connections on startup. Please see attached error log (tried to embed it into this post, but it got very unweildly) Any ideas on how to fix it?

Hi Aurrin,

are you using Linux or Windows?

Do you have still free space in openfire/embedded-db/ ?

Which files (and sizes) do you have in this directory? You may want to take a look at the (two to four) files, they should be all plain text.

LG

1. I am using Windows XP Professional Edition, Service Pack 2

2. If you mean physical disk space, no. The hard drive on this server is huge, and the partition with the Openfire installation is in no danger of running out of space

3. The embedded-db folder contains only two files: openfire.properties (attached) and openfire.script. openfire.script is 87KB, but is completely blank, apparently filled up with space characters when opened in notepad.

Hi Aurrin,

so I hope that you have a backup of the embedded-db folder - totally blank or "NUL"s are very bad. It usually contains the whole database and starts with

CREATE SCHEMA PUBLIC AUTHORIZATION DBA

CREATE MEMORY TABLE JIVEUSER(USERNAME VARCHAR(64) NOT NULL,PASSWORD VARCHAR(32),ENCRYPTEDPASSWORD VARCHAR(255),NAME VARCHAR(100),EMAIL VARCHAR(100),CREATIONDATE VARCHAR(15) NOT NULL,MODIFICATIONDATE VARCHAR(15) NOT NULL,CONSTRAINT JIVEUSER_PK PRIMARY KEY(USERNAME))

LG

I have no idea what happened to it, and I don’t have a backup, though I’m not too terribly sorry. We were only using it for a small workgroup and the setup wasn’t anything I couldn’t re-create in an hour or so. However, fearing some sort of corruption problem, I uninstalled it just today (after having encountered the same problem) and then reinstalled it, thinking that surely that would fix it. But apparently not… How can I clean it up enough after an uninstall that it will actually install fresh, clean databases and the like?

Hi Aurrin,

there’s no need to uninstall / install Openfire. To run the setup again edit conf/openfire.xml and change “”.

To get rid of the database you must delete the files in the embedded-db folder. Then start Openfire, run the setup and Openfire should be running again.

LG

Okay, now it looks like we’re up and running again. Just gotta set it all up again. (And hope and pray that there isn’t some other problem dropping connections.) Thanks a million!