Openfire installation procedure in linux redhat enterprise

Hi,

Anybody knows how to install openfire in linux redhat enterprise and redora core?

Any help be appriciated. Thank you very much!

Julz

Hi,

on Fedora process is very simple - just unpack openfire to some folder (/opt/openfire for example), run “openfire start”

and then connect to this host from web browser on port 9090 (http://host:9090).

Oh, some dependancy - first download and install last release of Sun JDK or JRE from java.sun.com

BR,

Tim

Hi Julian, welcome to IgniteRealtime community B-).

I found out that Openfire installation is a breeze in RHEL and Fedora using RPM package: openfire-3.4.1-1.i386.rpm. The JRE is included in the package. To install, just run:

sh# rpm -Uvh openfire-3.4.1-1.i386.rpm

To run Openfire:

sh# service openfire start

Hi,

Thank you for the response and intruction. I installed the openfire now on fedora linux. However, I’m not able to access the server if i’m using spark in windows client.

Can you give me the next step to do. Thanks a lot.

Julz

Hi,

Thank you for your response, it really works. However, i can’t access the server if i’m using spark windows client.

Can give me the next step to do? Thanks a lot.

Julz

It’s likely that there’s a firewall blocking client access to port 5222. Can you verify that the port is not blocked by running:

sh# service iptables status

One of the lines should show something like:

14 ACCEPT tcp – 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 state NEW tcp dpt:5222

If that is not the case, then you would want to edit /etc/sysconfig/iptables and include a line that allows access to port 5222. After saving it, run:

sh# service iptables restart

Then try to connect once again.

BTW, can you also verify that Openfire is listening to port 5222? Run this as root:

sh# lsof -i :5222

You should get something like:

COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME

java 24381 daemon 124u IPv6 89927 TCP *:xmpp-client (LISTEN)

Hi Aznidin,

It’s a helpful tips. Thanks for that. However, my linux redhat enterprise server is hosted, i can’t issue a commands like rpm and yum. Can you give some links or step by step procedure on how to install openfire in a hosted server.

Thanks,