Openfire keeps shutting down

Wildfire ran fine, but after upgrading the the latest 3.3.0 of Openfire the program keeps shutting down. I unstalled everything and installed a brand new version of Openfire but the problem continues. I am running it on Windows2003.

Here is my warn log. The last line was written just before it shut down “No ACK was received when sending stanza” What exactly does it mean?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

warn.log

2007.04.16 12:20:02 Error when trying to update to new name

java.sql.SQLException: Table not found in statement

at org.hsqldb.jdbc.Util.throwError(Unknown Source)

at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcPreparedStatement. in dwr.xml

2007.04.17 13:30:52 Autocreating jiveID row for type ‘‘125’’

2007.04.17 18:35:58 No ACK was received when sending stanza to: org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.NIOConnection@1461b5b MINA Session: (SOCKET, R: /72.168.145.73:11007, L: /72.32.209.224:5222, S: 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:5222)

Any ideas anyone?

Do we have any windows experts handy that can log into my server via RDC and see what my problem is?

It looks like the jiveVersion table didn’'t get created for some reason. You should be able to create it manually without too much trouble though.

Look under your wildfire folder in resources/database and examine the .sql file for your database

It’'s a pretty simple table. For mysql, the command is:

CREATE TABLE jiveVersion (
name     VARCHAR(50)  NOT NULL,
version  INTEGER  NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (name)
);

I’‘m not using mySQL, I’'m running the embedded database under windows. How do I add the table?

Here are my:

openfire.properties

#HSQL Database Engine

#Wed Apr 18 15:50:02 CDT 2007

hsqldb.script_format=0

runtime.gc_interval=0

sql.enforce_strict_size=false

hsqldb.cache_size_scale=8

readonly=false

hsqldb.nio_data_file=true

hsqldb.cache_scale=14

version=1.8.0

hsqldb.default_table_type=memory

hsqldb.cache_file_scale=1

hsqldb.log_size=200

modified=yes

hsqldb.cache_version=1.7.0

hsqldb.original_version=1.8.0

hsqldb.compatible_version=1.8.0

Our employees (and my boss) are killing me with complaints about the service going up and down and up and down.

Hi,

check your embedded-db/openfire.script (or .log) file, there should be a line

CREATE TABLE jiveVersion ( name varchar(50) NOT NULL, version INTEGER NOT NULL, CONSTRAINT jiveVersion_pk PRIMARY KEY (name) )

and a line

INSERT INTO JIVEVERSION VALUES(’‘openfire’’,11)

LG

Yes, both of those lines are in my openfire.script file:

CREATE MEMORY TABLE JIVEVERSION(NAME VARCHAR(50) NOT NULL,VERSION INTEGER NOT NULL,CONSTRAINT JIVEVERSION_PK PRIMARY KEY(NAME))

INSERT INTO JIVEVERSION VALUES(’‘openfire’’,11)

I also have the line:

INSERT INTO JIVEVERSION VALUES(’‘gateway’’,2)

But none of the lines above are in my openfire.log file. Should I ad them and restart Openfire?

Under wildfire/bin/extras there’‘s a viewer for the internal db. It think that’‘s where you’‘ll need to go and run the commands above. On my linux box it’‘s embedded-db-viewer.sh but I imagine there’'s something similar in the windows version.

Hi,

these entries are fine. I assume that you got the error message only during the first startup as there was not yet a jiveversion table.

It’‘s fine if it’'s in the .script or the .log file. The .log file will be written as long as Openfire runs and every time you shut it down properly the .script file will be updated.

LG

No. I get the error message all of the time. It has been happening for 3-4 days. It did it after the upgrade, so I uninstalled everything and installed the new version from scratch and still have the problem.

Openfire will not run than 2-3 hours at a time before it shuts itself down. Here I am trying to sell my boss on the values of having an in house IM and I can’'t even keep the one we have running.

Did you try to find the internal db viewer? If it’'s not there, it looks like you should be able to connect to it via JDBC. On linux, the config file is wildfire/bin/extra/embedded-db.rc

it contains

urlid embedded-db

url jdbc:hsqldb:…/…/embedded-db/wildfire

username sa

password

probably a little different for you since you’'re actually using the internal db, but hopefully you can work something out

There is no external viewer for windows and I have no clue how to use JDBC on a windows box. I’‘m a linux admin, but the companie I work for runs everything on windows boxes (I’'m working on changing that).

I’‘m afraid that if I can’‘t get this working by tonight I am going to have to drop Openfire and look for another solution. I’'m willing to work the bugs out but my boss is not.

Hi RBasil,

I’‘m sorry to hear you’'re having so much trouble.

There is a viewer for the embedded database that comes with the Windows installation as well. It should be in your C:\Program Files\Openfire\bin\extra directory and it’'s called embedded-db-viewer.bat. Be sure the Openfire is not running when you run the viewer. If the viewer is not there please let me know and I can either email it to you or attach it to this thread.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan,

Darn, your message was posted a little too late. I just uninstalled 3.3.0 and went back to 3.2.4 (which is running great).

With everyone upset with me here at the office there is no way I can reinstall 3.3.0 again now that 3.2.4 is working. I will be lynched if I do.

Well, we certainly want to keep the lyncing to an absolute minimum.

I’‘m a little bit surprised that a missing table would cause Openfire to shutdown after a few hours. It’'s too bad that you how to downgrade before we had a chance to figure out was going on…

Going forward, since you’‘re in a Windows environment is there a installation of SQLServer available somewhere that you can use? Typically, running Openfire with an external database is the prefered type of installation since you can take advantage of the infrastructure (greater levels of procssing power, extra memeory, backups, monitoring, etc.) that companies typically allot to database installations, and you can take some load off of Openfire since it doesn’'t have to use resources to keep the internal database up and running.

Thanks,

Ryan

I have mySQL on the server. I can create a database and connect Openfire to it.

I won’'t be able to do it till tomorrow though as my work day is almost over.