Openfire Mac OS X 10.7.x Install Walkthrough

Hey guys,

I have combed over these support pages for a day+ but can’t quite find a solution to my answer so I apologize if this is a duplicate topic.

I have been tasked with setting up Openfire and Spark for a small business I work for and don’t have much knowledge of Mac’s. I have setup OF on a Window’s platform but I do not understand all the nuiances of Mac well enough to navigate it properly.

We are going to use this primarily for secure internal communications w/ Spark (but open to other ideas) and about 6-7 users at present. If someone could please break it down to it’s base level and start from square one it would be greatly appreciated.

I have already downloaded and attempted to install OF and Spark along w/ Java 7 but cannot get the server to start in it’s present condition. Hopefully this thread will also serve as a great document that Ignite can use for future Mac users who want to use their product but may now have the expertise or knowledge to implement a sound solution.

Thanks for any and all help in advance and I appreciate you being patient w/ a Mac newb.

-JS

Ah, so I finally figured it out.

On ANY Mac w/ a 64-bit processor, you need to go into *Applications --> Utilities --> Java Preferences *and once you open the utility console you need to move the 32-bit version to the top of the priority list.

Reboot your machine

Start the Openfire server under the System Preferences pane and follow the regular instructions like usual.

I also installed Spark on top of this and make sure to install the plugin for “Search” on the server so you can find other users!

-JS

1 Like

JS Smith, this solution totally worked on Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard~! Koodoos