Openfire plugins not unloading

I am working on writing an openfire plugin, but ran into an issue when attempting to load a new version via the web console. I am not able to unload any plugins from the console - they all hang when deleting the jars within the lib directory for the plugin. This includes the search plugin downloaded from this site, as well as a trivial one that I created that does nothing - it still hangs and the jar is locked until the server is restarted.

I thought this was an issue with my code and holding on to some class (because of static instances, etc), but this is not the case when the entire plugin is nothing more than two empty methods - see below. This

package com.tdkc.openfire.xmind.collaboration.server;

import java.io.File;

import org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.Plugin;

import org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager;

public class EmptyPlugin implements Plugin {

public void destroyPlugin() {

}

public void initializePlugin(PluginManager arg0, File arg1) {

}

}

I am running on Windows 7, however our server is running Linux. I’m having this problem with 3.6.4, but was able to duplicate it on 3.7.0 as well.

Mike Carter

Senior Software Engineer

The Design Knowledge Company

Hello,

openfire is lacking active developers at the moment, if you are able to resolve why this is happening within openfire, patches would be very welcome!

daryl

I’m experiencing same issues on Windows XP. I always have to restart the server to get rid of a plugin. This doesn’t happen on Linux box, so it has to be something with a windows binary.

FYI for anyone who comes across this discussion … this problem has presumably been fixed in the 3.7.2-Beta trunk (ref. OF-197 for details). Until the 3.7.2 release, you can pickup the nightly build to try it out for yourself.