Openfire runtime error - Java related?

After following the installation instructions, when i run the ./openfire start command i get the “Starting Openfire” text, but when i run netstat, i didnt see openfire listening on the port.

Soleris 10

Openfire Directory: /apps/clearspace/node01/openfire/3_4_1/bin

Java 1.5 directory: /bin/java

Below is the output from the nohup.out, it seems to not be finding my Java environment.

vi nohup.out

“nohup.out” 11 lines, 918 characters

Exception in thread “main” java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/install4j/runtime/Launcher

Starting openfire

Exception in thread “main” java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/install4j/runtime/Launcher

Hi Jeremy,

which user runs Openfire? Has the user the rights to write to the openfire/libs, openfire/conf and openfire/logs directory?

LG

we’re using a user called vignuser, and it is the owner for the entire openfire directory. When i run java - version, the system lists 1.5.0_12, so openfire should be able to find it, correct?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

VM Environment

Openfire 3.4.1

Soleris 10

Java 1.5.0_12

Hi,

did Openfire extract the .pack files in the openfire/lib directory, do you see now only .jar files there?

Maybe it helps if you start the Openfire process in foreground with

cd /apps/clearspace/node01/openfire/3_4_1/logs

PATH_TO/java -jar …/lib/startup.jar

[Ctrl+C] to stop Openfire

Maybe you’re interested in taking a look at Simple Start Scripts as you seem to use a special user and directory to run Openfire.

LG

Openfire properly extracted the .pack files into lib.

Running PATH_TO/java -jar …/lib/startup.jar works perfectly, and no errors in logs.

Still getting the same “java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError” error in nohup.out running PATH_TO/./openfire start

Will look into the Simple Start Scripts and see if i can find a solution. If you think of anything else, let me know. Thx for the help so far!

JE

Hi Jeremy,

if you could start Openfire with the two lines i did post then you could add some JVM parameters, like

PATH_TO/java -verbose:class -jar …/lib/startup.jar

to display the class loading.

LG