Openfire-service not working on IIS

Well, I’m running out of ideas now - I’m not a Windows expert, but have some experiance. Is this being run as a VM ?

We have completly opened up the 9090 and 9091 ports, if they were being blocked on the firewall then the exe would not connect correct?

We are not running any firewall on the box itself, nor any intrusion detection software.

The ports to the box are open 100%, but the service is not accepting connections from the outside and I can’t for the life of me see why.

No VM. It’s a dedicated windows box. I’m not a windows guy either, but I am required to use it for some of the in-house software we run. We don’t have the resources to setup an Ubuntu box dedicated to OF like I wish we could.

As Todd says, the config looks OK. I don’t think the local firewall would block attempts to connect from the physical machine itself.

Just a point of interest, when you do a netstat -a at a DOS prompt, have a look and see what IP’s the ports are being listened on. is the local address the machine name ? You should have something like below:

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
TCP STARDUST:9090 STARDUST.examplecom:0 LISTENING

You said it is a windows box. What version of the OS is on the windows box? Did you open the firewall ports based on application name, NIC, or some other method?

Posted from above:

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
TCP 117592-APP1:9090 117592-APP1:0 LISTENING
TCP 117592-APP1:9091 117592-APP1:0 LISTENING

Yes, the local machine is listening on the correct ports.

The OS is Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.

The firewall is a hardware solution and not on the box itself. It is set to allow connections on all prots on port 9090 and 9091 We do not use the built in windows firewall.

I’ve even went so far as allowing all connections on all ports to this box on the firewall and it still won’t connect.

What it comes down to is:

The OF exe accepts outside connections while the service does not. This has got to be some setting with the service itself since all port for this box are now 100% open to connections from the outside.

Ok, just to get the hardware firewall out of the way. We moved the box out from behind the firewall. It still will not connect to the service.

uugghh… This is driving me nuts.

This should not be this hard. Can you detail exactly what you did to create the service?

Sure,

Went to:

c:\program files\Openfire\bin

ran:

openfire-service /install

and then

openfire-service /start

Well that is the correct procedure. Not sure what the issue could be.

I know, that’s what is driving me nuts.

I’ve setup OF (back when it was Wildfire) on a few servers last year with no problems at all. Not sure why I’m having so many problems with this setup.

I am slowly making my through the forum looking for the solution to this problem, have you been successful at fixing it?

Hi,

I had similiar problem as RBasil

I have Openfire installation running on WinXP Pro SP3 and when I launched it with GUI it was working perfectly. Problems began when I tried to run it as a service. I could connect to it only from the box where it was installed. I’ve checked everything, restarted the service billion times, machine as well… and the last place where I searched for solution was windows built-in firewall. I don’t know why but after installing openfire as service, openfired.exe entry in firewall exceptions list doesn’t work. You have to manually add openfire-service.exe and openfired.exe to exceptions list. It worked for me.

Disable the firewall or allwo the service app through it unhindered.