powered by Jive Software

Openfire Spark on Android?

I’m trying to use Freelab Messenger on the android OS to have our staff, who arn’t always in front of a computer, use their company issued phones that are in the internal network.

I ran Wireshark to see why the app saw the server but never connected to it. I noticed that one of the packets contained this message

“73 Alert (level: Fatal, Description: Certificate unknown)”

On the phone there is a pop up to accept a certificate but even though I press the once or always button it still doesn’t work.

I have tried other XMPP/Jabber applications with no luck.

I’m using Openfire 4.1.3

If any one has gotten any app to work with Open fire could you please let me know. And if possible is there a list of steps I can take to getting it work?

Conversations, Xabber, Yaxim - all of them work for me. Conversations it the most up to date and polished client. You are getting certificate error because you are using self-signed certificates or certificate is generated for a wrong domain. Or you are logging in not using domain name.

Im using my Username@nameserver.local (JID) that is on the Admin console.

Is nameserver.local same as XMPP Domain Name which is on the first page on Admin Console?

Yes it is. Thanks for helping by the way.

Is this server internal one? How phone users are accessing it? Via wifi, which is connected to the same network as you PCs with Spark? Btw, in Spark you put same nameserver.local as Domain?

Server is internal. We are testing the possibility for phone users to use it. WiFi connected to the same VLAN as the server and the other PC’s using the spark client. Spark is in the same name server.

You can try some other client to see if they can at least connect. Say Yaxim (which is free). In yaxim you can put the user as username@nameserver.local and see if it works. If not, then also add custom server and put server’s IP there.

Can you connect with PC to the same Wifi and see if Spark works this way? Maybe your server’s name is not resolvable via wifi.

Yaxim comes up with “No supported SASL Authentication Mechanism Available” then another one saying “Read Error: ssl=8xb(the rest of these change with each time): failure in SSL Library, Usually a protocol Error”

Connecting a PC to the wifi works.

Are you using a custom certificate (not a self-signed generated by Openfire itself)? I have tried both Yaxim and Xabber Beta. They both work with my test Openfire 4.1.3. But i have to add its IP as a host, as my server’s name is just my home PC’s name and clients can’t find it by its name alone. But no such errors. It just complains that the certificate is not trusted, but then i approve it and it connects.

Is there a way to see what certificate Im currently using on my spark clients so I can then double check. We do use custom certificates but not for everything.

Spark doesn’t have an interface for certificates. But it uses what Openfire provides. You can check Openfire’s certificates in Admin Console on TLS\SSL certificates menu (click on any store link).

Luiz,

I use Jabiru to access OpenFire via Android.

Very good app and solved my problem.

Jabiru – Apps para Android no Google Play

Hans

I just tried that one but I always get Incorrect Username or password. Even after I copied and pasted the info direct from the server itself.

Xabber Finally updated to a new version today and it comes with an error log for why im having issues connecting.

This is what I get

org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException$NoResponseException: No response received within reply timeout. Timeout was 30000ms (~30s). While waiting for establishing TLS

at org.jivesoftware.smack.SynchronizationPoint.checkForResponse(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.SynchronizationPoint.checkIfSuccessOrWait(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.SynchronizationPoint.checkIfSuccessOrWaitOrThrow(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection.connect(Unknown Source)

at com.xabber.android.data.connection.ConnectionThread.connectAndLogin(Unknown Source)

at com.xabber.android.data.connection.ConnectionThread$1.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:818)

I get that Xabber has updated to the version using latest version of Smack library and it might cause problems for a while. Same was when Spark updated to the newest Smack version (certificate errors, etc.). You can try reporting this on Xabber’s GitHub page (Issues menu).

Finally got it to work.

I went in to the Server-> System Properties

Under sasl.mechs add

ANONYMOUS,PLAIN,DIGEST-MD5,CRAM-MD5,SCRAM-SHA-1,JIVE-SHAREDSECRET,GSSAPI,EXTERN A

to the value while using the legacy SSL option and Port 5223 on the Xabber app