/opt/wildfire/jre/bin/java: error while loading shared libraries: libjli.so

Environment: Mandriva 2006

Installed via RPM

Launching via “service wildfired start” as root.

/etc/init.d/wildfired has all defaults (WILDFIRE_USER=jive)

“jive” user has been created

java is not installed anywhere else other than /opt/wildfire/jre

java works when /path/to/java -version is run as root

produces this error when service script is initiated, or java is executed after suing to user “jive”:

/opt/wildfire/jre/bin/java: error while loading shared libraries: libjli.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

There is clearly some environment related issue that I’‘m not understanding, as making the /opt/wildfire directory chmod 777 doesn’'t affect the results.

“root” and “jive” both have default shells of /bin/bash

I’'m sudo -s to root and thus my shell in interactive session is /bin/ksh.

env as sudoed:

_=/bin/env

LC_ADDRESS=en_US

PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin

LC_MESSAGES=en_US

SHELL=/bin/ksh

LC_CTYPE=en_US

LC_TIME=en_US

USER=root

LC_PAPER=en_US

DISPLAY=localhost:10.0

HOME=/domains/thomas

SUDO_GID=500

SUDO_USER=thomas

LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US

LC_TELEPHONE=en_US

LC_SOURCED=1

LC_MONETARY=en_US

LC_COLLATE=en_US

TERM=xterm

LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US

SUDO_COMMAND=/bin/ksh

LANG=en_US

LC_NUMERIC=en_US

SUDO_UID=500

LANGUAGE=en_US:en

LC_NAME=en_US

LOGNAME=root

env as “jive”

_=/bin/env

LC_ADDRESS=en_US

PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin

LC_MESSAGES=en_US

SHELL=/bin/ksh

LC_CTYPE=en_US

LC_TIME=en_US

USER=root

LC_PAPER=en_US

DISPLAY=localhost:10.0

HOME=/domains/thomas

SUDO_GID=500

SUDO_USER=thomas

LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US

LC_TELEPHONE=en_US

LC_SOURCED=1

LC_MONETARY=en_US

LC_COLLATE=en_US

TERM=xterm

LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US

SUDO_COMMAND=/bin/ksh

LANG=en_US

LC_NUMERIC=en_US

SUDO_UID=500

LANGUAGE=en_US:en

LC_NAME=en_US

LOGNAME=root

as “jive”:

/opt/wildfire/jre/bin/java -version

/opt/wildfire/jre/bin/java: error while loading shared libraries: libjli.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

as sudoed root:

/opt/wildfire/jre/bin/java -version

I was actually eventually clued in by the links on this page:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/redhat-fedora-linux-help/90625-problem-installi ng-suns-java-fc6.html

specifically, the one to the instructions… the use of ldd on java and the differential results between the “root” and the “jive” account clued me into where the problem was… which I kind of knew already… I just didn’'t know how to tell the java binary where to look for the libraries to load.

After much playing about, I figured out that I needed to add /opt/wildfire/jre/lib and each individual sub-directory to /etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig -v to initialize everything properly.

Honestly, this is kind of just “monkey see, monkey do”, but a little bit better than running wildfire as the root user. :confused: If someone can clue me in on how to do this better, or more gracefully, and whether I might have borked something else, please let me know.

Hi,

I guess that you don’'t see this problem if you install a new JRE manually as root or any other user in a random directory. It seems to be just another RPM-related problem.

LG