Persistent rooms

I’‘m a bit confused on how chatrooms work with jive messenger (i’'m using 2.0.1).

First question: are chatrooms the same as multi-user-chat? I still don’'t understand this after looking around… my understand until now is that chatrooms would be persistent multi user chat sessions…

Second question (and main one): how do i create a persistent chatroom in jive messenger? i’'ve seen it mentioned in some message in this forum, so i assume it is possible. I can create a chatroom nicely from my client, but then it only exists while there is someone inside. And i see no reference to it in my mysql database… none at all… no logs, no room entry, nothing.

Third question: i upgraded to 2.0.1 and decided to use a mysql backend instead of hsqldb… now i cannot get the logs of the chats in the chatrooms recorded… in fact, in my 2.0.0 installation i could never track down where the logs were stored. there was some something.data file in the embedded-db directory that i imagine should be storing all of this, but as far as i can tell, it was all kept in memory, as this file never got more than size=0.

As an additional remark, the docs coming in 2.0.1 regarding the db schema description mention a jiveChatbot table that doesn’'t seem to exist. Additionally, the muc* tables are in the schema but not in the docs.

But it is a really nice piece of software…

Ricardo

PS: Any idea when s2s communication will be available? It is quite messy to have to create a separate account just for using the functionality deployed in one server… Bunch of people with already existing jabber accounts out there!

Hey,

I’'m a bit confused on how chatrooms work with jive

messenger (i’'m using 2.0.1).

Ok. Let’'s see.

First question: are chatrooms the same as

multi-user-chat? I still don’'t understand this after

looking around…

Yes. When you read about “Group Chat” or “Chat rooms” in messenger we are referring to Multi-User Chat. We removed support for the old groupchat protocol. Now we only have MUC.

my understand until now is that

chatrooms would be persistent multi user chat

sessions…

In MUC you could have persistent rooms as well as temporary rooms. A temporary room will be removed from the server as soon as the last occupant leaves the room. On the other hand, persistent rooms will be saved to the DB and are always available. The only way to remove a persistent room is by destroying it explicitly.

Second question (and main one): how do i create a

persistent chatroom in jive messenger? i’'ve seen it

mentioned in some message in this forum, so i assume

it is possible. I can create a chatroom nicely from

my client, but then it only exists while there is

someone inside. And i see no reference to it in my

mysql database… none at all… no logs, no room

entry, nothing.

In fact you are creating a MUC room when you create it from your client. If you client supports MUC (e.g. Smack or Exodus) you should be able to configure the room. When you are configuring the room you could specify that the room should be, for instance, persistent or members-only. I guess that you must be using a client that doesn’'t support MUC so messenger will create an instant room (i.e. a room with the default configuration) which by default is temporary.

Third question: i upgraded to 2.0.1 and decided to

use a mysql backend instead of hsqldb… now i cannot

get the logs of the chats in the chatrooms

recorded…

The conversation logs are stored in the database. By default, the logs are flushed to the database every 5 minutes. But if you are using an instant room the logging flag will be off so no conversation will be logged to the database.

As an additional remark, the docs coming in 2.0.1

regarding the db schema description mention a

jiveChatbot table that doesn’'t seem to exist.

Additionally, the muc* tables are in the schema but

not in the docs.

You are right. I’'ll add a task to our bug tracking tool to get that doc updated.

PS: Any idea when s2s communication will be

available? It is quite messy to have to create a

separate account just for using the functionality

deployed in one server… Bunch of people with

already existing jabber accounts out there!

FYI, s2s is in the top of our high priority things to implement. So stay tuned…

Regards,

– Gato

Just checking on something

I am using Miranda jabber plugin.

I create the room and checkmark it as a persistent room.

I go into the room and see myself in the users list and I can write nice text lines and I can have a couple other people join.

I then went to Miranda and did a search on rooms and saw my room in the browser portion of it.

Everyone left. Then I X’‘d out (left the room and didn’‘t hit destroy the room from the rightclick interface) of the room, and did a search on rooms and didn’'t see my room still there.

Is that correct or am I missing something? Shouldn’'t I see my room even after I left it and then be able to enter and get control (if I am administrator)?

Thank you for your time and great product!!!

Message was edited by:

wimnms

Hey Michael,

If the room was persistent you should still be able to discover it. Are you sure the room was marked as persistent? Could you run the test again and check before you leave the room that the room exists in the database? Check again after you left the room.

FYI, that part of the application has changed a lot in the newer version which is available in the nightly builds. Let me know if you are still having that problem using the newest version.

Regards,

– Gato

You are right of course… I’'m using Psi 0.9.2, and a quick check showed me there is no full support for MUC (they want to introduce this feature in 0.9.3, which seems to be a hard thing to come out).

A quick go with GAIM has given me the ability to create a persistent chatroom…

Even though, do you consider adding this kind of functionality in the server side (probablyl through the admin tool interface)? I see the creation of persistent rooms much more as a server side thing than client side…

As i am on it… I’'m thinking of providing SSL connections only… How would i do this? There seems to be no way using the admin tool…

Again… Thanks a lot!

Ricardo

PS: i want beat you more on the s2s issues… apparently you already have enough

PS2: anyone know of a full-featured jabber/xmpp client for linux? Psi seems to be getting back in the train…

Ricardo,

Even though, do you consider adding this kind of

functionality in the server side (probablyl through

the admin tool interface)? I see the creation of

persistent rooms much more as a server side thing

than client side…

Not at the moment. AFAIK, the usual way to create rooms is using a client but that may depend on your requirements. Anyway, if you need to provide a back-end for room creations you can always build your own JSP pages and add them to messenger as a plugin. In the CVS repository you can find a document that explains how to develop a plugin.

Other “tricky” option is to create the rooms directly in the database. If a user tries to join a room that exists in the DB but is not in memory, messenger will load that room from the DB (kind of hot-load!). Note: The rooms that you create in the DB while the server is up and running won’'t be part of a disco result until they have been loaded to memory.

As i am on it… I’'m thinking of providing SSL

connections only… How would i do this? There seems

to be no way using the admin tool…

I’‘m not sure I understand your question. Do you want to connect to the server usins SSL? For doing that you’'ll need to enable SSL in the admin console.

PS2: anyone know of a full-featured jabber/xmpp

client for linux? Psi seems to be getting back in the

train…

You can use this client url=Best Open Source Mac Software Development Software 2024 that uses our XMPP open-source client library called url=http://www.jivesoftware.org/smack/Smack[/url].

Regards,

– Gato

If the room was persistent you should still be able to >discover it. Are you sure the room was marked as >persistent? Could you run the test again and check before >you leave the room that the room exists in the database? >Check again after you left the room.

Well, I checkboxed the box for persistent from miranda plugin… and when I came back in the room manually after leaving it (entering my test room name not browsing for it) it didn’'t ask me to set any room parameters.

It just didn’'t show in my browse after everyone was gone from the room.

Shrug Could be something with client or me on a bad day… will investigate further later.

thanx

Michael,

I never used miranda but some clients use a cache to avoid discovering items all the item. You may try forcing a refresh from the client and meanwhile open a debug window to capture the sent and received XML packets.

Regards,

– Gato