Pigin and Openfire issues

I am using Openfire 3.6.2 and Pigin 2.5.4. Server is running on RHEL 5.1. Basic setup, just using mysql for the data base.

Environment:

Environment
Java Version:
1.6.0_03 Sun Microsystems Inc. – Java HotSpot™ Server VM
Appserver:
jetty-6.1.x
Host Name:
adm05lp-vm
OS / Hardware:
Linux / i386
Locale / Timezone:
en / Central Standard Time (-6 GMT)
Java Memory

12.37 MB of 63.31 MB (19.5%) used

We used version 3.3.2 on another host before we were migrated to this server. (Migration was simply exporting the database, importing on the new server installing and configuring OpenFire to look at the database with the data in it.)

Eversince the upgrade/migration, we have has numerious issues. Mostly people cannot talk to each other becuase they cannot send authorizations to each other. Looking in the error log, we have entries like this:

2009.02.26 13:03:34 [org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalOutgoingServerSession.createOutgoingSes sion(LocalOutgoingServerSession.java:258)] Error trying to connect to remote server: username(DNS lookup: username:5269)
java.net.UnknownHostException: username

Where username is the name of the user in question.

Any ideas on why Openfire is trying to resolve the user’s client computer (I guess this is what it is doing) using the name of the user instead of pulling that IP address information from active client sessions?

Hi,

Your pidgin users need to use Jabber IDs that contain the domain name as well. Adding a buddy of username will not work, you need to add buddies of username@domainname for it to work.

Openfire thinks these IDs are remote servers if you don’t specify one.

daryl

Hummmm. What do you mean by domain? I have to add the user as user@FQDN of the openfire server instead of the user and telling Pidgin that I want to use my account on the Openfire server for this user?

thanks for the pointer. At least I am making progress.

Hi,

The error you are seeing is a result of the Pidgin users adding buddies that do not contain the xmpp domain in it. They are adding username as a contact instead of username@igniterealtime.org as a buddy, which is what openfire expects.

daryl