Please, remove JRE from Spark distribution

I’‘d like to have a distribution of Spark that doesn’'t contain JRE (I already have one JRE why you should I install another?).

Regards,Vitaliy

Hi Vitaly,

I also prefer a Spark package without JRE. I use a .cmd file to startup Spark using the JRE in %programfiles%\java\jre1.5.0_06. This saves a lot of disk space and startup is even faster than using the Spark.exe file.

But most users will not have an installed JRE and I think the Spark installer is used by a lot of people with little experience. Actually it sucks if you have to download additional software to install or start a program. Enterprises will download the installer one time and either deploy it as is or build a package without java.

If you have a slow internet connection or pay for used bandwidth you really get mad if you have to download 17 MB instead of 7 MB.

LG

Hi,

Why not to create two distributions

one for those who have fresh jre

and one for those who don’‘t or don’'t know

Installers like zerog install anyware allow to find installed jre on computer.

Spark developers could create distribution that contains jre but install it only when jre is not present on the computer.

Regards,

Vitaliy

No problem at all. We have been meaning to do this for a while. You can track the issue with SPARK-132.

Cheers,

Derek