Plugins won''t install

Hi,

Got a problem with the broadcast plugin. Using Jive 2.1.5, broadcast 1.2. Linux RPM.

We had a power failure yesterday and since then Jive does not recognise the plugin. Jive has been started and shutdown cleanly since.

The broadcast.jar was removed from the plugins directory but the broadcast dir was not removed by Jive. I manually removed it and restarted Jive. Copied the jar back into the plugins dir and it did not deploy.

I have also dropped in another plugin to see if that will deploy (content filter), but no joy. The jive user has full permissions on the plugin folder. Has read permissions on the jar files (as I drop then in as root), but that has never been a problem before. Even changing ownership on the jar files makes no difference. Nothing in debug log, or any other log regarding plugin deployment.

Everything else seems ok.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers,

Jason.

Jason,

Please check the minimum version of JM that the plugins require. (plugin.xml)

I know that the content plugin requires 2.2.0 as a minimum, so it should not

deploy on 2.1.5.

Perhaps there is a need to improve JMs feedback this type of problem.

It would also be a good thing if the plugins page also highlighted the minimum version of JM that it runs under so you don’'t have to download it, and open it to read the meta info.

Conor

Jason,

Please check the minimum version of JM that the

plugins require. (plugin.xml)

I know that the content plugin requires 2.2.0 as a

minimum, so it should not

deploy on 2.1.5.

Good point, but Broadcast 1.2 should deploy on 2.1.5. I’'ll try another 2.1.5 compatible plugin.

Cheers,

Jason.

Search.jar plugin. Min server version 2.1.3. No joy.

Jason.

Crikey, I never heard of a power failure causing this kind of problem!

I am not sure how the internals of plugin loading works, but given that the JM software is up and running and all else being equal it should work.

If the OS is not the problem, then its more likely that you have some corrupted software or data.

The first place I usually look is the JVM itself, it has happened to me on occasion on Windows machine. Reinstall anyone?

Very sorry I can’'t be more specific…

Conor.

The problem may have been when the machine went down. Unfortunately, even though Jive is great, the server is not critical and not (yet) on UPS.

Looks like I will have to do a reinstall. It’'s something that I wanted to avoid as I can only do that at certain times of day.

We have a situation that our clients (Psi) are set to reconnect automatically when disconnected from the server. I thought that this would be great as then I could do retarts and stuff and most people would never notice. However, when more than 20 or so clients are trying to connect as Jive is starting up, it doesn’‘t. Well, Jive starts listening on its ports and you get a connection, but never a response to sending authentication details (the server asks, the client sends and then nothing). Getting lots of the clients to go offline normally sorts it out, but it’'s a bit of a pain.

This may well be a resources thing rather than a Jive thing as the machine it is running on isn’‘t exactly ‘‘hot’’, so it isn’‘t something I’'m not overly concerned about. It just makes things like refreshing the install a bit more of a hassle than it should be.

Will try and reinstall later today.

Jason.

Sad, because reinstalling doesn’'t help solving the root cause.

What do you mean with “did not deploy”? Did JM uncompress the jar at all and “only” didn’‘t load it? Happened anything? I’'m currently looking at the source of the PluginManager and the inner class PluginMonitor…

No idea so far, but more infos would be really nice.

Sad, because reinstalling doesn’'t help solving the

root cause.

Haven’'t got that far yet anyway

What do you mean with “did not deploy”? Did JM

uncompress the jar at all and “only” didn’'t load it?

Happened anything? I’'m currently looking at the

source of the PluginManager and the inner class

PluginMonitor…

No idea so far, but more infos would be really nice.

Nothing happened. Jive did not uncompress the jar. No dirs created. nothing at all happened. No info in the logs (warning, error, debug, admin-console).

Do you use a filesystem that can show you the file access time? To see if jive does anything to the jar at all?

I have to admit that I currently have no real approach as well. I really like the JM source, it’‘s nice and clean - but I don’'t see any point that could cause the behaviour you describe. I fear I have a later version here, but… Hmm…

Would be really great if one of the devs could comment as well.

Do you use a filesystem that can show you the file

access time? To see if jive does anything to the jar

at all?

Using Ext3 filesystem

ls -l => shows mod time (shows up as time files were downloaded)

ls -l --time=status => shows time when files where copied into plugins folder

ls -l --time=access = > show a time before they were copied into folder (accessed by Windows ? WinSCP3 used to copy to linux box)

It appears Jive is just ignoring them…

I have to admit that I currently have no real

approach as well. I really like the JM source, it’'s

nice and clean - but I don’'t see any point that could

cause the behaviour you describe. I fear I have a

later version here, but… Hmm…

Would be really great if one of the devs could

comment as well.

I guess I’'ll have to go ahead with the reinstall as I really need broadcast working again.

Cheers,

Jason.

about client restarting problems. I having something similar with Exodus. Linux based server, and after electricity breakdowns network is down for some time. And after this some Exoduses cant reconnect, throw dialog to enter password, though “save password” option is selected.

Not sure is this an Exodus issue or OS or JM, but now i see something similar with Psi.

Hey Jason,

Interesting problem.

FYI, in JM 2.2 a problem unloading plugins was fixed but unfortunately it’‘s not your case since it is related to plugins with JSP pages. Anyway, removing the plugin’'s directory will happen once all the objects in memory (related to the plugin) have been garbage collected which may take some time.

Is it possible that the jar file has been corrupted when the machine crashed? Have you tried downloading the jar file again? Just trying to guess in the dark. You may send your jar file to me so I can try it locally.

Regards,

– Gato

Hi,

I had downloaded the plugins again, but it didn’‘t make any difference. Reinstalling Jive sorted it out, however I’‘ve just walked in this morning and now my machine has died, so it’‘s all a bit academic at the moment. Maybe I’'ll convince them I need a new machine

It’'s all a bit weird as the rest of Jive seemed to be functioning normally, just no go on the plugin front. But, as I said, after reinstallation, the same plugin jar was recognised and deployed.