Port 80 on Debian?

Hi,

I set up Openfire today on an OpenVZ instance on Debian. That was enough of a challenge by itself.

Now I have a question. I have users who would like to connect from behind other peoples’ firewalls. The easiest way, i assume, would be to have them connect to either port 80 or 443. I see the option to have Openfire listen on http ports, on the Server > HTTP Binding page, but when I change the ports to 80 and 443, it tells me it can’t, and i should see the error log. I assume it’s because Openfire runs as user openfire, and can’t bind to those ports. Anyone know how I can?

Thanks!

Sam

Did you look at the error log like it asked you? If something else is using those ports already, you won’t be able to bind to them. I suspect you have apache or something else already using those ports…

If you want to serve your IM platform using port 80, you will have to eliminate any conflicts, or get a seperate NIC and bind another IP address to it…

Wayne

Nothing bound to that port at all. This is a fresh clean OpenVZ instance I created just for Openfire. I am assuming Openfire can’t bind to 80 and 443 simply because it’s running as a non-root user and ports below 1024 are protected.

I’m not embarassed to say I don’t know what the java error messages are telling me. Maybe you do? Here they are…

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:139)

at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:324)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:505)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.j ava:828)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:514)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:211)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:380)

at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:395)

at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:450)

Thanks!

Well, I’m a linux re-re-tard, so my idea was just a shot in the dark! And the java stuff is a mystery to me too. You cannot give the openfire user more previlges to access that port?

Wayne

Hello,

that is not a java constraint but a linux kernel constraint.

Only root-users may bind to a port below 1024.

Regards,

Torsten

Right! So what I’m asking is how to give openfire permission to use those ports. I think I knew once and can’t remember. That’s the problem with moving up the corporate ladder and no longer being a hands-on sysadmin :confused: My brain has filed things away and I can’t find them anymore.

Sam