Possibility to contribute to the Smack Library?

Hi Matt and Others,

Is it possible to contribute any code to the Smack Library? For example when we have build the functionality for sending files, is it possible to send a source update?

I think this library can be the best available in our Java world. I think it probably already is the best available. But maybe it can be more complete, but only whene the work is divided into parts, and done by more than one person.

Regards,

Mark Monster

Mark,

Absolutely you can make code contributions! Gato (an outside developer) began making Smack contributions about a month ago, such as:

• Helping architect the Smack extensions package

• Creating most of the current Smack extensions

• Creating the Smack extensions manual

He has CVS read/write permissions as well. So, outside developers are certainly welcome.

From an architectural perspective, Smack extensions provide a very clean and easy way to add features. However, we’'re careful about what we make official Smack extensions for a few reasons:

• We want to maintain a clean, consistent official API.

• Many XMPP extensions are either not stable (from a protocol perspective) or just not very good.

For example, there are quite a few different standards for file transfer and it’‘s difficult to choose the right one to implement. So, probably the best idea is to discuss smack extension ideas with other developers (myself and Gato, and Iain gives really good input as well) and then to do development accordingly. If you start to become seriously involved in Smack development, we’'ll be happy to give you CVS permissions, etc.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have additional questions.

Regards,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Currently I’‘m spending much time on a few Freelance projects. One of it is an HandsOn about J2ME for a Dutch PC Magazine. Maybe when I’'ve got some more time, I can code some extensions. And maybe I can write an article about XMPP, with some code-samples using the Smack Library, but these things are future thoughts.

I’‘ve been browsing the Jabber.org site, and found the protocol @ http://www.jabber.org/protocol/ I recognized that every extensions has a jep-number. I thought maybe it’'s interesting to add a list of supported extensions (containing the jep-numbers). Also we could use this to discuss some protocol improvements, not to change the protocol, but to decide if it is usefull and clean enough for the Smack Library.

Currently I don’‘t nead any CVS permissions, I’'m too busy;).

Regards,

Mark Monster

Mark,

Currently I’'m spending much time on a few Freelance

projects. One of it is an HandsOn about J2ME for a

Dutch PC Magazine. Maybe when I’'ve got some more

time, I can code some extensions. And maybe I can

write an article about XMPP, with some code-samples

using the Smack Library, but these things are future

thoughts.

Sounds good – all those things would be good projects.

I’'ve been browsing the Jabber.org site, and found the

protocol @ http://www.jabber.org/protocol/ I

recognized that every extensions has a jep-number. I

thought maybe it’'s interesting to add a list of

supported extensions (containing the jep-numbers).

JEP numbers are actually already included in the Smack extensions documentation. Maybe we can make a more concise overview page as well so that people can quickly tell if a particular JEP is supported.

Regards,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Sounds good – all those things would be good

projects.

After this J2ME project, I will discuss this with the chief editor.

JEP numbers are actually already included in the

Smack extensions documentation. Maybe we can make a

more concise overview page as well so that people can

quickly tell if a particular JEP is supported.

I think that would be nice. That way, new users can see if Smack supports their needs in a fast way.

Maybe we can start some discussions about future JEPs.

Regards,

Mark Monster