Possible feature request

Saw this on the new microsoft im product. May be an interesting feature

Sharing Folders will be a new and simple way for you to share personal photos, documents, and files with your Messenger contacts. You will be able to create a Sharing Folder by simply dragging files onto a contact name in Messenger. This will create an exact copy of the files on both you and your contact’'s computers, and create a Sharing Folder that can be accessed from Messenger.

I can already share documents using e-mail. So what’'s the big deal?

The Sharing Folder will be easier than email for sharing photos and documents. In a Sharing Folder, any time a file in the folder is added, modified, or deleted, those changes will be synchronised with the person you?re sharing with. The Sharing File icon in Messenger will also show you a gleam on a contact so you will know when a Sharing File has been updated. And it will be a simple drag-and-drop to share files, even simpler than the ?send file? and ?save as? functions you are already familiar with in Messenger. The Sharing Folders will work pretty much like the PC folder experience you already know, so it will make sense right away. Just like in Windows, you will be able to drag and drop, get different views of files, copy, paste, etc. You will be able to access a Sharing Folder from your desktop, to manage files whether online or offline. And a Sharing Folder requires virtually zero setup or configuration, and efficiently handles file synchronisation without any fuss.

This could also be good for a group to share a common folder. Or a MUC.

What do you guys think?

Heh. We’‘ve already been doing basically the same thing. It’‘s called “Jive Shared Zones”. Cannot really give you a set date yet, but it’'s coming along.

Cheers,

Derek

cool. sent a pm to you about this as well.

hm… if i really need to share some file that is changing often - then i use simple sharing. I dont think common types of files sent through IM (photos, mp3, funny presentations) can change time to time. One more thing, if you want to share with more than one person you have to move it to every contact share folder rather than just broadcast a link to that file?

I just cant find any useful use of this feature