powered by Jive Software

Presence unavailable and get status

Hi everyone!

This is my first steps in the smack community, so I’d like to greet everyone

Sorry, if this problem, already arrived here, but - believe me or not - I came throught a thousand of pages in google, and find only onesimilirar problem but it was about old Smack version and got no use for me.

Currently, I’m working on a Jabber client in Java with Smack API for my college project.

And I’m currently working on a roster list, my problem is that i want to display a text status (description) of user who’s presence is unavailable. And I can’t, when user got presence which presence.getType() == Presence.Type.unavailable, and then when I’m trying to do presence.getStatus() its simply null, and i cant display it…

Maybe I misunderstood the role of Presence.Type and Presence.Mode, or something. Please, help me fix this issue.

PS: Please excuse me for my bad english, I’m not a native english speaker…

Are you sure that the person who went offline set a status when logging out? I’m not 100% sure that offline status is supported persistently, i.e. it is retrievable when going through the roster. I know that you can send a ‘going offline’ status which can be intercepted by your PacketListener if you’re not filtering out the status messages. I also know that you can acces online friends’ statuses via the roster as you described above so your approach is fine.