Privacy Lists Dev

Personally i think, if you block someone, then you don’t want to see his messages at all (though i see no point in blocking and then unblocking a person, unless this is done instead of using DND ). So dropping of messages is ok with me (don’t know what standards say). I think this is done on a client side. But would be great to show a message to a sender, that his messages are being dropped. Or not? This error message will show, that the person who has blocked you is online. Unless notification would be done from the server. Then it will inform about the dropped messages even if that person is offline. Content filter plugin is doing that on a server side.

Anyway, i’m ok with the current implementation, though i won’t have a use for it. Usually i don’t even approve contacts which i won’t be willing to get messages from

UPD: didn’t see Konstantin’s message. So it is a server who is dropping the messages. Then it’s ok.

Ups, the server drops the message? Well, then “blocking” is really a strong and correct word for it. It is actually more a ban.

For me, the privacy mode is more of an “invisibility” mode that allows a user to hide the presence information to other users.

what’s privacy?

in my opinion i could switch myself to an invisible mode. that means that i’m going to appear as offline in the rosters of my contacts. to stay online on the rosters of my “inner circle” i could add them to the “visible list”. that means that i’m always online on their roster. also when i’m currently in the invisible mode.

the same thing should also work vice versa. i have an “invisible list” that contains contacts that never get my presence even when i’m online for all the others.

while i’m in the invisible mode i should be able to get all the messages contacts are sending to me. it is up to me to ignore them or begin a chat.

what the privacy plugin currently does is: blocking users.

maybe we need three list: invisible list, visible list, blocked list

correct me if i am wrong, but that’s what coming to my mind

Miranda IM uses the following privacy options:

block/allow Messages

block/allow Presence(in)

block/allow Presence(out)

block/allow Queries

they can be seperately specified for;

• everyone

• a user

• a group
    all users with:

• subscription both

• subscription to

• subscription from

• subscription none

i think this is the way we must go, as it is the official XMPP-Standard

The dev team is moving towards the implementation that Wolf has proposed.