Problem in installing Jive Messenger

Dear all,

I have downloaded the jive_messenger_2_1_3.tar.gz and unpacked it and also moved it in /opt dir. NOw whenever I ran the messenger file from /bin of it gives me this message :

./messenger

Usage: ./messenger {start | stop}

./messenger start

Starting messenger

nohup: appending output to ‘‘nohup.out’’

And it holds there for a long time like half an hour and then simply gives the shell prompt again.

Now how to resolve this situation?

My java version is 1.4.2, jdkgcj 0.3.1 , gcj (GCC) 3.4.2

-tanveer

JDK 1.5 (Java 5) is required. Please try that and let us know if it works.

Regards,

Matt

hey thanks for ur reply.

I have downloaded jdk1.5.0_02 and installed it. Also set the $PATH variable. NOw the output of java -version shows

java version “1.5.0_02”

Java™ 2 Runtime Enviroment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_02-b09)

Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 1.5.0_02-b09, mixed mode, sharing)

But still it gives me the same message and created a nohup.out file as before in bin directory.

-tanveer

Did you check out the logs directory to see if anything is being written to the error log?

Regards,

Matt

ok, now after installing jdk , I was running the ./messenger file from /bin, but now I ran now the link http://localhost:9090/ and it gave me a setup page and I did all the 4 steps without any problem. So in step 4, I setup admin account and password. Then it said to stop the server and to start again and also to disable the setup option in some xml file which I didn’'t quite understand. Now whenever I open that link it gives me again the setup prompt of all those steps. NOw how to login in admin account?

Did I miss something ?

-Tanveer

Stop the server (by killing it from the prompt) and then start it again. You should now be able to login to the admin console.

Regards,

Matt

thanks a lot. It did worked now at last with all your help.

But when I start the messenger why it gives this error:-

./messenger start

Starting messenger

nohup : appending output to “nohup.out”

thanks once again for all ur help.

-Tanveer

But when I start the messenger why it gives this

error:-

./messenger start

Starting messenger

nohup : appending output

to “nohup.out”

That’‘s actually not an error message. It’'s just notifying you that all output from the process is being put into a file called nohup.out.

Regards,

Matt

Hi tanveer45,

AFAIK, the “nohup: appending output to ‘‘nohup.out’’” message is normal (I get the same one and my server works properly). The script might have stopped because you did not use the admin console to set up your server, so a timer might have expired…

For the admin configuration, after restarting the server, you must be able to connect with your admin account. I have not tested the last 2.1.3 version of JM yet, but in the latest nightly builds, you do not need to modify an xml files to configure and use your server… Moreover, notice that the admin console is not immediatly available when you start your server (it takes a few minutes to start the web server after having started the XMPP server). So, maybe you get the latest html file you visited on http://localhost:9090/ because your browser use the cache memory to show you this page, this could be an explanation…

I hope this could be helpful, good luck,

Seb

too late…

too late…

Sorry, didn’'t mean to step on your toes!

-Matt

Me back again

Got some problem in client end. I want to test the server so create a new account(jabber acct) in kopete and whenever I click on connect it gives me this error message :-

There is a connection error: Host not found

I want to test it first so at the server setup time I put my IP in Hostname and and create a user as tanveer.ahmed@bjitodc.com. If It works successfully then I m going to setup all users in my office.

Should I change the hostname and set bjitodc.com instead of my IP ?

thanks in advance.

-tanveer

Hi Tanveer,

To my mind, your JID (user’'s address) must be tanveer.ahmed@domain where domain is the IP of your JM server or its DNS name if it has one. So, if JM is installed on the computer called bjitodc.com, you should be able to connect to it with your client using tanveer.ahmed@bjitodc.com. If JM is installed on another computer, you will have to connect to this machine with your client to create your XMPP account with a JID such as tanveer.ahmed@cpuName.

Regards,

Seb

Thansk 2 u all.

Problem solved. I used the ip of my server machine on all clients and it worked fine.

-Tanveer

in addition, you can add the IP of JM server to hosts file with any name you want. But then you’‘ll have to add this host for every client. Of course the better way is to add JM server to your DNS (if you have one). We’'ve decided to use IP, though JIDs dont look pretty as username@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx